How to Make The Perfect Apple Pie
The perfect apple pie is an American classic which is a delight to bake at home. After all, who would not like to create an apple pie just the way your mum used to make. It cannot be beaten with its chunky slices of caramelized apple surrounded in buttery tasting pastry. Then all you have to do is serve your warm pie with cream or custard and you have a dream dessert. Now all you need to do to get started is learn how to make the perfect apple pie.
The Best Apples For A Perfect Apple Pie
When it comes to baking the perfect apple pie, you must begin by choosing the best apples. Select apples that feel firm to the touch and that have few to none blemishes on the skin. It is best to use apple varieties which give you a balance of sweetness and tartness in flavor so try a few varieties out first. You need to use apples that have a firm flesh as it will spoil your pie if your apple turns to mush and breaks down as you bake them in the oven. You need to make sure that if you really want the most perfect apple pie then the best bakes will be made in the fall because this is when your freshest local apples are in season. You want the natural sweetness of apples to come through in every delightful bite so put so thought into the quality of your ingredients.
Ingredients For The Perfect Apple Pie
This perfect apple pie recipe makes one 9-inch pie.
For the Pastry
- 2 cups of plain flour, plus extra as you roll your pastry
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 cup cold cubed unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon of salt
For the Apple Pie Filling
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- 5 pounds apples
- ¼ cup corn starch
For the Egg Wash
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon of whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
Related Post: Best Whipped Cream Dispenser
For The Pastry
- Whisk together the sugar and flour and add the salt into a medium bowl for around 30 seconds until the ingredients are combined.
- Cube the butter and then mix it with the flour in the bowl. Use your clean hands to put the butter into the bowl and rub the cubes until they mix in. Any lumps do not matter as the butter will incorporate itself into the pastry as you later fold the dough.
- Stir in the cold water and again using your hands combine the ingredients until the rough dough starts to come away from the bowl.
- The perfect apple pie dough needs to remain cool as you work with it or will end up being sticky and unworkable.
- Shake your countertop lightly with flour and place the dough onto it ready for rolling. Use your rolling pin and work your dough into a large rectangle shape. If the dough begins to stick, sprinkle some more flour onto the surface. Fold the dough in two once you have a large enough rectangle and roll again. The more you repeat this process the flakier the layers will become in the final pastry.
- Split up the dough into two, one for the bottom crust and another for the top of your apple pie. Lay the bottom pastry dough into a 9inch pie tray. Push down the dough into the sides of the tin. Where the dough flows over the sides use a sharp knife to trim to a 1inch length.
Related Post: Best Mixing Bowls
For The Apple Pie Filling
- Add the sugar and spices together into a plastic food bag. Seal the bag and give it a good shake to blend them all together.
- Peel and cut up your apples into equal sized slices that are about ½ inch thick or about 10 cups.
- Put the apples into the plastic bag of sugar and spices and give them a shake. Shake well to ensure that all of the apple slices are fully coated with the mix.
- Leave the apples at room temperature for a couple hours turning the bag every now and again as the mixture turns syrupy to fully coat the apples.
- After a couple of hours open the bag with your filling and put the entire apple mix into the pastry tin. Arrange the apples not only so they look nice but also so they will be evenly distributed for baking.
- Roll out the other half of the dough and use a dinner plate to trace and cut around to turn the dough into a large circle. Put the top on the apple filling and seal it up all around the edges. At this point you can be creative with the left-over pastry to make an attractive apple pie lid.
- To bake the perfect apple pie, you first need to chill the pie in your refrigerator for at least an hour before baking. When this time is almost up you can begin to pre-heat your oven.
For The Egg Wash
- Beat together the eggs and cream then add the salt. Whisk until the mix is finally combined together. A good egg wash should be a pale yellow color and fairly loose in consistency.
- Take the apple pie out of the fridge and brush the egg wash over the top of the pie.
- Make several slits in the top of the pastry so that steam will be able to escape as the apple pie bakes.
How To Bake An Apple Pie
Depending on your oven, you need to bake the apple pie for around 70 minutes. You will know when you have a finished bake as you will be able to see that the crust has turned golden brown. As soon as you take the pie out of the hot oven, let it cool before serving. Taking the apple pie out of the oven, covering it over and allowing it to cool at room temperature allows the apple filling to set.
You may wish to try some things to make sure that your pie crust does not burn as with some ovens this can happen. To stop the edges of your perfect apple pie from going to brown, cover over the edges of the pie with foil after the first 30 minutes of baking. After it has been left to rest from the oven you can slice up you pie to serve.
What To Serve With Apple Pie?
You are able to serve up perfect apple pie in a variety of ways and even though it will taste perfectly heavenly on its own, there are more than a few ways that you can level up your apple pie experience. Apple pie is very often served with a huge scoop of ice cream. Add there is a reason why, this is one of the best ways to eat apple pie as if it is warmed up, cold vanilla ice cream is the ideal partner.
There are however lots of other ways to spruce up your pie. You may want to try a drizzle of caramel sauce over the top. A sprinkle of nuts such as pecans with a caramel sauce makes an apple pie really interesting. You can also eat with pouring or whipped cream for rich indulgence. You can also try substituting half the sugar in the recipe for honey. Then you can drizzle extra over you baked apple pie for a sweeter, honey-flavored treat.
How To Store Apple Pie
An apple pie will stay fresh for a while if you let it cool down after baking. Just cover over the pie with foil and you can happily store it at room temperature. When keeping your apple pie like this it should remain fresh for a couple of days. If there is still any of your perfect apple pie left, you could even keep it in your refrigerator for an extra couple of days. All you have to do when you want to eat it is warm a slice for a few seconds in the microwave.
Apple pies also freeze amazingly well. All you need to do is put them into your freezer wrapped tightly in foil. Apple pie will keep in your freezer for around four months. Apple pies are easy to thaw too. Simply take out of the freezer and allow the pie to thaw at room temperature for about an hour before you reheat in your oven for about 30 minutes. You can make a number of apple pies to pop in your freezer giving you an easy way to get a dessert on the table after dinner.
So, whether your family simply could not envision an occasion without your homemade apple pie, or it is their preferred way to end a big family dinner, a well-made apple pie will always be welcomed. And all you have to do is figure out for yourself how to make the perfect apple pie.