Avocado and eggs are two delicious foods, but have you ever tried eggs baked in avocado? Not only it this dish a nutritional powerhouse, containing essentially every vitamin, mineral, and amino acid you need to meet your daily value, but also full of power-packing protein to supply you with energy and keep your muscles strong. There is a variety of diverse eggs baked in avocado recipes, ranging from the perfect breakfast to a delightful dinner dish. In this article, you’ll discover a variety of eggs baked in avocado recipes you can create and some helpful tips along the way.
Baked Eggs in Avocado
For starters, let’s begin with the most well-known and easiest dish to make. Eggs baked in avocado represent a contrast between fresh and soft avocado and the creaminess of a poached egg. It’s a favorite among many because it’s tasty, healthy, and satisfying.
- 1 avocado, halved (remove pit)
- 2 small eggs
- 2 slices cooked bacon, crumbled to size
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh chives (add more or less to taste)
- 1 pinch dried parsley, or to taste
- 1 pinch sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Crack the eggs into a bowl, being careful to keep the yolks intact.
- Cut your avocado in halves and arrange the avocado halves in a baking dish, resting them along the edge so avocado won’t tip over.
- Gently spoon 1 egg yolk into the avocado hole. Continue spooning egg white into the hole until full. Repeat with remaining egg yolk, egg white, and avocado. Season each filled avocado with pepper and salt to taste. You can also add chives and parsley for extra flavor. C
- Place your baking dish in the preheated oven and bake until eggs are cooked approximately 15 minutes.
- Optional: Sprinkle bacon over avocado to taste.
Cooking tip: You want the hole in your avocado to match the amount of egg that will bake inside of it. Slowly scoop out a little bit at a time until the hole is the right size for the amount of egg you’re adding.
Avocado and Egg Toast
While avocados are great paired with eggs, adding toast to the mix is just the thing you need to produce a heartier dish that’s most fulfilling. Avocado and egg toast are easy to make and it is absolutely satisfying and with only 5 ingredients and 5 minutes to make, it’s the perfect way to get your nutritional needs met on those busy days. Adding a tomato and basil into the mix creates an entirely new tasty dish from those listed above. The tomato and basil offer the meal a unique taste and make it a great dish not only for breakfast but even for lunch or paired with a side for dinner time. This recipe even makes an excellent dish when hosting a get-together because it’s not only delicious, but it’s an elegant looking meal once it’s completed and topped with halved cherry tomatoes and the torn fresh basil.
- 1 slice whole grain bread, toasted (1.5 Oz)
- 1 oz. mashed (1/4 small half) avocado
- cooking spray
- 1 large egg
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- hot sauce (optional)
- Mash the avocado in a small bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a small nonstick skillet over low heat, spray with oil and gently crack the egg into the skillet. Cover and cook to your liking.
- Place mashed avocado over toast, top with egg, salt and pepper and hot sauce if desired!
Eggs Baked in Avocado with Tomato and Basil.
Adding tomato and basil into the mix creates an entirely new tasty dish from those listed above. The tomato and basil give the meal a unique taste, and make it a great dish not only for breakfast but even for lunch or paired with a side for dinner time. This recipe even makes a perfect dish when hosting a get-together because it’s not only delicious, but it’s a beautiful looking meal once it’s finished and topped with half cherry tomatoes and the torn fresh basil.
- 2 avocados
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves (torn)
- 1 lime (zest and juice)
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (divided)
- 3-4 tablespoons water
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Halve each avocado lengthwise. Peel and pit the halves. Lay the avocados on a clean work surface, hollow-side-up. Lay a piece of plastic wrap on top, and gently press down to slightly flatten the pieces to make a flat bottom. (Keep the hollow part of the avocado intact to crack the eggs into later.) Remove plastic wrap and discard. Season avocados with salt and pepper.
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to a high-sided skillet and place over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the avocado slices with the hollow side facing up. Allow the avocados to sear for 1 minute. Crack 1 egg into each hole. Season the eggs with salt and pepper. Pour water into the bottom of the pan and cover the pan with a lid. Bring the water to a simmer and let the eggs steam until the egg whites have set and the yolks are still runny, about 3 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the tomatoes, basil, lime zest and juice, and remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the egg-stuffed avocados to a serving platter. Top with tomato basil salad and enjoy!
The Wrap Up
These are just a few of the amazing dishes you can create with the two simple and nutritious ingredients, eggs and avocado. You can add your own touch to any meal to make it even more enjoyable to your unique taste. The options are endless, and experimenting is always fun when it comes to making new dishes that you can enjoy with your family and loved ones. What are your favorite eggs baked in an avocado recipe?