10 Reasons Why You Should Drink Lemon Water in the Morning
What is consumed into the body goes a long way to affect health and wellbeing either positively or negatively. It is, therefore, essential to know what is in your food and what it can do for your body. In an era where healthy diets and fitness is prioritized, it can get overwhelming to keep up with all the recipes that are deemed fit. You might have heard about lemon water as one of them, but what makes it good for you – if it is at all? In this article, the reasons why you should try lemon water in the morning will be explored to ensure you’re not just riding a trendy wave.
Related Post: Water Coolers
What Does Lemon Water Do To Your Body?
- Supports Immune System Function: The immune system is the central network that controls health and wellbeing, and it is linked to the food you consume. One of the great things about lemon water in the morning is its Vitamin C content. Vitamin C is known to be a necessary nutrient in the fight against illness and disease. It is known to increase your body’s production of white blood cells, which are proven defenders of the body. The white blood cells fight against bacteria and viruses to keep the body fit at all times. Vitamin C is also responsible for equipping immune cells in producing antibodies that attach to these bacteria and viruses to indicate that they’re to be destroyed.
- Aids With Brain Health: Aside from Vitamin C, lemon water is filled with other great nutrients that help with brain development. It is rich in potassium, which works alongside other nutrients to facilitate electrical transmission throughout the nervous system and the brain. Not only does it aid physically, but it also helps with mental issues like depression, forgetfulness, fogginess, and anxiety. A single lemon has an essential mineral content of 80 milligrams, which is enough for muscle and cell function. It is also vital for maintaining the balance of bodily fluids. All these benefits contribute to keeping the brain as healthy as it needs to be for normal functioning. The work of potassium and these nutrients have been scientifically proven, and so a lemon drink will do you more good than harm.
- Helps Fight Flus And Colds: Flus and Colds are some of the most common illnesses that hit humans, especially during the cold season. Due to the vitamin c content and white blood cell production, a cup of lemon water is an effective way to cure it. It also helps eliminate the viral infections and bacteria that cause the illness, healing you in a short time. It also has antioxidant properties that make your cells healthier to enable them to fight the disease. It contains ascorbic acid, which helps iron absorb better in your body. These properties allow your body to make the best out of your meals, and the lemon water will serve as a catalyst for the healing process.
- Helps Balance Ph Levels: The body has a way of metabolizing foods to alkalize the blood. Lemon water has two of the weakest acids, citric and ascorbic, and so the body can quickly turn it into alkaline. Drinking lemon water every morning will, therefore, help reduce the acid content in your body. You do not necessarily need to take in alkaline foods to reduce the acidity in your body. A balanced pH promotes healthy cell structure and function and also creates an unsuitable environment for the growth of bacteria and viruses. It will be helpful to drink a cup of lemon water every morning to keep your body in its right state.
- Helps Lose Weight: This is one famous assumption about the benefits of lemon water, which is actually true. Lemon contains a lot of pectin fiber, which is suitable for decreasing cravings. This means you will have very little urge to eat, leading to reduced food intake, hence decreasing body weight. Water is also known to help in weight loss, and so the combination is useful for keeping fit. Research also shows that the polyphenols present in lemon juice are helpful for the suppression of body fat accumulation. It was found out that even those who overeat are likely not to gain weight if they had lemon juice regularly.
- Promotes Healthy Digestion: With all the above-mentioned benefits of drinking lemon water, it is no surprise that it is useful for digestion. A lack of this acid can cause atrophic gastritis, which is an illness known to affect 30% of women and men over 60 years of age. The juice helps to remove waste from the body, facilitating a clear digestive tract. It stimulates the production of bile by the liver, which is a required acid for digestion. Drinking lemon water in the morning will clear out your digestive system for the day so that it is not overloaded. Effective digestion prevents heartburn and constipation giving you a refreshing start to your day.
- Aids in Clear Skin: The work of lemon juice as a method of clearing the body of waste is useful when it comes to keeping the skin looking rejuvenated. Lemon water helps remove toxins from the blood, giving it the ideal opportunity to glow. Skin issues are usually a reflection of happenings within the body and so a healthy inside will reflect a good exterior. A cup of lemon water in the morning will put you on a path to glowing skin, with a reduced appearance of blemishes and wrinkles. You can get the same benefits of lemon water if you also apply it directly to the skin. Your skin will look brighter when you make it a habit of drinking lemon water every morning.
- Useful for Fresh Breath: Lemon water helps freshen your breath, due to some of its components. It is known to prevent plaque as well as give you relief from gingivitis. It also helps fight against the causing agents of these diseases. The acid content in the lemon will create a hostile environment for the organisms to thrive but can also erode the enamel. You will have to monitor the ratio of lemon juice to water to ensure your teeth are not damaged. You can consult your dentist to make sure you are doing the right thing for your teeth.
- Acts as a Diuretic: Lemon water has the tendency to increase your rate of urination. Increased urination means your body gets to get rid of toxins more often, thereby leaving you with a healthy urinary tract. The citric acid in lemon water will also give your body its required citrate for the break down of kidney stones. This means any kidney stones present will be flushed out of the body. Drinking a cup of lemon water every morning has proven to reduce the chances of kidney stone formation as well. Lemons contain the highest amount of citrate and do not need any help when it comes to kidney stones.
- Helps Keep the Liver Healthy: Because lemon water facilitates the release of toxins from your body, the pressure on the liver is significantly reduced. It is the responsibility of the liver to filter the body of toxins and introducing lemon water will help. Lemon contains citrus flavonoids that are instrumental in protecting the liver from damage. They also come in handy in removing fat from the liver to keep it working correctly. Lemon juice, on its own, is not a detoxifying agent, but it gives the detoxifying organ in the body the needed boost to function.
Hot Lemon Water or Cold Lemon Water?
Drinking either hot or cold lemon water can shock your body and reduce the benefits you get. The body will need some time to process the two extreme temperatures before any benefits can be derived. It is therefore advisable to drink warm lemon water in the morning so that your body gets the vitality it needs without much stress. The temperature of the water is also essential to get the nutrients out of the lemon. The warmth helps with the extraction of more polyphenol from the fruit to give you the nutrition your body needs for the day.
Related Post: Water Distiller
Generally, starting your day with lemon water serves as a refreshing beverage that sets the body up for the day’s activities. The juice helps keep you sound both physically and psychologically mainly because of its properties. It is astounding how much vitamin c in a lemon you will acquire if you drink it with water every morning. Apart from its health benefits, it serves as a great alternative to addictive drinks that are known to be bad for the body. You can as well consume it as a snack during the day to keep your unhealthy cravings at bay. A good lemon should be yellow to indicate it is ripe and should have thin skin to get maximum benefits. You should, however, consult your nutritionist to help with how much to consume based on your dietary requirements and body type.