Do all those dirty dishes make you feel washed up, but don’t have the space for the luxury of a full-sized dishwasher? Then a countertop dishwasher is your answer! These compact dishwashers have all the cleaning power of their larger counterparts but can be squeezed into a much smaller space. And most models don’t even require any plumbing.
Ideal for small kitchens, single households and an RV when you like to take your life onto the road, the sheer convenience of a table-top dishwasher will soon have you wondering just how you lived without. And with a wide choice of models for all budgets, you can really clean up with a countertop dishwasher. We take some of the best countertop dishwashers for a spin to help you in your final choice.
The Best Countertop Dishwasher
With its smart looks and versatility at a decent price, Farberware’s portable countertop dishwasher ticks our review’s boxes. And, as it requires no hook up – it has a built-in five-liter water tank – it’s a great choice for your camper or RV too. Style-wise, it has a clear view front window and digital display and the size is deceptively spacious, taking plates up to 12 inches in diameter. This is a versatile mini dishwasher too, with five wash cycles, including fruit clean, baby care and glass. The water tank is easy to fill and gives you enough time for a sufficient dishwash. Or you can opt to use the included hose if you want to connect to your kitchen faucet. Add in an air refresh program for faster drying as well as pull out plate and cutlery racks, and you get a good looking and performing top counter dishwasher for your money.
Built-in water tank for hook-up free cleaning
Normal, rapid, fruit wash, baby care and glass cycles
Clear view door and LED digital display
Air refresh to boost drying power
- Weight 45.5 pounds
Solidly built, the Black+Decker is a straightforward counter dishwasher that should blend into most kitchens. The white outer casing, with black glass and stainless steel detailing is smart and the LED display and touch controls make it easy to use. The water hook-up is also quick to attach and there are drain connections too. When it comes to the dishwash action, you get a total of seven wash cycles, including intensive, eco, rapid, soak and glass and a child lock to keep inquisitive little fingers at bay. Add in a 24-hour delay option and Energy Star rating and this is a good dishwasher for the price. The only down is that although it’s a 6-place setting capacity, the max plate size is 10 inches so you do need to carefully think about how you load to squeeze everything in.
Six place setting capacity; max 10in plate
Intensive, Normal, Eco, Glass, 90 Minutes, Rapid and Soak cycles
24-hour delay start option and child lock
Energy Star certified
- Weight 46.2 pounds
For a superior clean with minimal noise, our premium pick is this neat countertop dishwasher from hOmeLabs. We liked the sleek look of this mini dishwasher, with a minimalist feel for blending into your small kitchen. The display is LED with light indicators so you know exactly where you are. The six wash cycles are the ones you need – heavy, normal, eco, glass, speed wash and rinse and you can postpone any wash with the delay button. Capacity-wise it’s not bad – six place settings (but it can be a bit of a squeeze) and there’s a rinse aid dispenser for streak-free drying. Hook up is simple, no tools required, and the unit comes complete with the faucet adapter for a quick connect. So, if you need a reliable table dishwasher that looks smart and gets on with the job, this could be the cleaning solution you need.
Heavy, normal, eco, glass, speed and rinse
Delay button to pause your wash
Quick connect – all accessories included
Dish rack and cutlery basket
- Weight 44 pounds
There’s a nice chunky look to this space-saving dishwasher, enhanced by its durable stainless steel design. However, the inner size is little deceptive and while it offers a six-place setting capacity, you need to be good at jigsaw puzzles to get everything inside. That said, this is a quiet dishwasher that’s Energy Star certified and has a low water consumption, coming in at around 11 liters per wash. As a portable countertop dishwasher, it gives you all the functionality you would expect, with six wash cycles and a delay start for up to eight hours. Hook up to your faucet is quick and thanks to the stainless steel design, the whole dishwasher is easy to keep fresh and clean.
Quick connect for easy hook-up
Six place setting capacity; six wash cycles
Low water consumption – 11.7l per cycle
Comes with a 12-month warranty
- Weight 44.1 pounds
If efficiency is at the top of your list, then this portable dishwasher from EdgeStar will tick all the right boxes. Using around 61% less energy that many other counter dishwashers, the EdgeStar is also less thirsty when it comes to water, using less than 12 liters per wash cycle. You get a six-place setting capacity, although this is based on a maximum 10.5 inch plate, rather than the ideal 12 inch. However, you do get an impressive seven wash cycles to cover all your daily dirty dish bases, including eco and glass. We particularly like how easy this dishwasher is to hook up and its quick connect adapter fits most standard sized faucets so you will be soon up and running. A good choice for RVs too.
Energy Starred and low water consumption
Six standard place settings
Seven wash cycles, inc. eco and glass
Built-in rinse agent dispenser
- Weight 44 pounds
The SoloRock is a no-fuss table dishwasher that’s also ideal for using as a portable in RVs or campers as it’s easy to fix to faucets, as well as being pretty lightweight to handle. With its white outer, you also get a durable stainless steel interior that gives the whole machine a build quality that makes it great value for money. The six wash and rinse settings do all the essentials and it uses lower amounts of water. The LED display is also well set out and intuitive to use. Add in the lower power consumption – the SoloRock is Energy Star rated – and this is a dishwasher that fits tiny kitchens and is also an excellent choice for RV camping life.
White exterior with stainless steel inner
Six wash cycle settings
Capacity for up to six place settings
Water and energy efficient
- Model SRDWCT0618W
- Weight 50.7 pounds
Quiet, easy to fit and use, and a with a few nice touches, what’s not to love about the well-built Magic Chef Countertop Dishwasher. The design is super-smart looking, with a clean white outer and stainless steel interior, that would look neat in any smaller kitchen or your RV. You get a six-place setting capacity plus six wash cycles – heavy, normal, light, speed, glass and rinse plus a handy 24-hour delay start. The inside is laid out well for easy access, including sliding rack, cutlery basket and rinse aid dispenser. We particularly like the residual drying system which avoids the need to use air from outside the dishwasher for a really hygienic finish to your dishes.
Easy clean outer and stainless steel interior
Six place settings; 6 wash programs
Includes 24-hour delay wash cycle
Hygienic residual drying system
- BrandMagic Chef
- Weight 49.5 pounds
Sized to fit under most kitchen cabinets, this countertop dishwasher is efficient at its job and comes in at a good price too. The design is straightforward and that’s part of its appeal, you get exactly what you need to do efficient dishwashing. There are seven wash cycles, including ‘mini party’, speed and soak and it has enough space to take the equivalent of six place settings, if stacked with a little thought. The quick connect to your faucet is a doddle and the washer will warn you if the water supply is not turned on. You also get a rinse aid warning, so you know when you are about to run out. The main downside to the SPT is that it’s a tad heavy for its compact size but with a little help, moving it should not be too much of a problem.
Seven wash cycles, including ‘mini party’
Automatic detergent and rinse agent dispenser
Water supply and rinse aid warnings
Up to eight-hour delay start function
- Model SD-2224DS
- Weight 43 pounds
Best Countertop Dishwasher Buying Guide & FAQ
Reasons You Need a Countertop Dishwasher
You don’t always need a full-sized dishwasher to get your crockery, pots and pans clean. If space is a premium or you simply don’t want another large appliance in your kitchen, then a countertop dishwasher could well be for you. Here’s why:
- If you live in a small property, in a rental or a house share, then a countertop dishwasher will work with your existing kitchen space.
- For kitchens which have all the undercounter space taken up by other essential appliances, a countertop dishwasher means you don’t have to miss out.
- You live on your own and simply don’t generate the dirty dishes to justify a full-sized appliance, a countertop dishwasher will give you the same level of cleaning power.
- You love to travel with your camper or motorhome but don’t love handwashing all those dishes in a tiny sink, then a countertop dishwasher will be your RV best friend.
Factors to Consider When Buying a Portable Dishwasher
To find the best dishwasher for your countertop, it’s important to consider the following:
- Size: The dishwasher should comfortably fit the width and depth of your counterspace. The available space between the counter and the bottom of any wall cabinets should also be factored in and the dishwasher should be light enough for you to handle.
- Capacity: How many dishes, bowls and plates the countertop dishwasher can hold should reflect your daily dishwashing. Capacity is measured in place settings - the number of plates and dishes you need per person’s individual place setting - and most countertop dishwashers hold up to six.
- Programs: Does the dishwasher have enough wash programs to meet your needs? Look for a minimum of pre-rinse, soak, quick wash, and heavy wash as well as an adequate drying cycle.
- Water consumption: Yes, you need the wet stuff to get those dishes clean, but you also need a dishwasher that's economical when it comes to water, without compromising its dishwashing abilities.
- Energy efficiency: You don’t want your new countertop dishwasher to be an electricity guzzler or you will soon feel it in your energy bills. Look for the Energy Star rating to show that your new dishwasher is energy efficient.
- Noise level: Especially if your portable dishwasher is in your RV or you have an open plan kitchen, then you don’t want a machine that drowns everything out. Look for a model that's a low noise unit so you can tune the sound out.
- Installation: The way the countertop dishwasher is installed needs to work with your own kitchen’s set up. Some models have built-in water tanks or will connect to your sink and faucet, while others can also be plumbed in.
- Ease of use: Look for an LED display and clearly marked buttons that are intuitive to use with the various cycles and programs.
How to Install a Table Top Dishwasher
Always refer to the installation instructions supplied with your new countertop dishwasher but as a basic guide:
- Place your table-top dishwasher onto a level surface that's deep and wide enough to fully support it.
- You should have also been supplied with two hoses - an inlet hose and a drain hose, as well as a quick, connect faucet adapter so you can attach your new dishwasher to your faucet as the water supply.
- Screw in the two hoses to the relevant port on the back of the dishwasher. Now connect the other end of the hoses to the adapter and attach the adapter securely to the kitchen faucet.
- Plug the dishwasher to an electrical outlet and you should be ready to dishwash!
- Load your dishes, ensuring they don’t get in the way of the spray arm and the dishwasher is not overloaded. Choose your wash cycle and start.
- Once done, unplug the adapter and hoses and store away, ready for your next dishwashing session.
Best Countertop Dishwasher FAQ:
Q: Do countertop dishwashers produce different results to normal ones?
A: Countertop dishwashers are designed to work as efficiently as full-sized models, just not at the dish capacity as larger designs. Countertop and portable dishwashers, however, will need less water and dishwasher detergent to do their dish-cleaning and drying job!
Q: Do portable dishwashers have a standard size?
A: It’s essential that your new portable or countertop dishwasher will fit in your kitchen so always check for the exact specification. The standard size for a portable dishwasher is typically 24-25in wide x 27in deep and around 36in tall. Designed to sit on your counter instead of the floor, a countertop dishwasher is not so tall, with the typical dimensions coming in at 22in wide x 20in deep x 17 ½in high.
Q: How many dishes can I fit into my worktop dishwasher?
A: Unlike a full-sized dishwasher, with a capacity of 12 – 16 place settings, most countertop units will offer between 4 and 6. A ‘place setting’ is the standard capacity measurement for dishwashers, based on each place setting consisting of one dinner plate, a dessert plate, one single glass, a soup bowl, tea cup with saucer, as well as the relevant cutlery. While you will not be filling your dishwasher with this exact combination, it does give you an idea as to what a countertop unit can hold.
Q: Can I install a countertop dishwasher under the sink?
A: Yes, as long as the model is compatible. Some countertop dishwashers can be installed on to your main water line and be stored under the sink. However, portable dishwashers are not designed for such a permanent installation. Always check with the manufacturer for their full installation guidance.
Our Top Pick
For a smaller kitchen or out on the road in your RV, the Faberware Complete is a versatile and portable countertop dishwasher that impressed all our reviewers. The built-in five-later tank means there is no need for a faucet hook up and the five wash cycles cover all your core dishwashing bases. We really liked the air refresh program too, which both improves drying performance and nips any nasty whiffs in the bud. For the price, this mini dishwasher is easily our top pick.