Best Fish Taco Recipe
The best fish taco recipe should not only be flavorful, fresh, and healthy; it should also be ready for your family in 30 minutes or less. This fish taco recipe we are going to share with you is very easy to make. It’s also very nutritious. Here’s how:
Choosing the Right Fish
Making a great fish taco starts with choosing the right fish. While you can use almost any other fish for this dish, most would recommend using flaky, white fish. They have a milder flavor compared to red-fleshed fish.
Saltwater fish like cod, halibut, flounder, mahi mahi, grouper, and snapper offer the best flavors for fish taco. However, they tend to be more expensive. It is best to go easy on the toppings if you decide to use these kinds of fish. Using less toppings will allow the flavors of the fish to stand out.
You can also use farmed freshwater fish. They are more practical choices for easy fish tacos. Examples of these are catfish and tilapia. There is one major problem, however. The flesh can have a muddy flavor. It is best to use more toppings if you want to use these kinds of fish. It will help mask the slightly unpleasant taste of the fish.
If you are a fan of salmon, you can use it, too. It’s perfect if you wish to grill your fish. It is also ideal for spicier rubs.
The best fish taco recipe will never be complete without its toppings. You can be as creative as you like. Most recipes will call for shredded cabbage or lettuce and pico de gallo. The latter is a salsa that is quite common in many Mexican dishes. It includes chopped tomatoes, Serrano pepper, cilantro, onion, salt, and lime juice.
You can also add slices of avocados or make your own guacamole. Some people also make their own cabbage slaw. This way, they can make the necessary adjustments in the taste of their toppings before using it in the taco.
There are also those who love to add a generous amount of El Queso Cotija de Montana. This is an artisan cheese that is somewhat the same as feta cheese. It has a milder flavor and not very salty.
A simple fish taco recipe only calls for a good drizzle of sour cream and lime juice. However, if you want to add some ‘kick’ to the fish taco sauce, we recommend adding a little bit of heat to it. A dash of Sriracha should go a long way to providing the sauce with both heat and tanginess.
Making the Fish Taco
Now that we have covered the basics, let us start making the fish taco.
Ingredients for the Fish Taco
- 24 pieces of small-sized corn tortillas
- 1 and ½ pounds of choice fish (tilapia, cod, or halibut)
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon of ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon of black pepper
Ingredients for the Toppings
- 1 cup or 4 ounces of grated Cotija cheese
- 2 medium-sized avocados, sliced
- ½ of a small purple cabbage, shredded
- ½ bunch of cilantro with the long stems removed
- ½ piece of red onion, diced
- 1 piece of lime, cut into wedges
Ingredients for the Sauce
- ½ cup of sour cream
- 1/3 cup of mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons of lime juice
- 1 teaspoon of Sriracha
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- This simple fish taco recipe calls for the heating of the oven to about 375 degrees before you start preparing the fish.
- Combine the cumin, cayenne pepper, black pepper, and salt in a small bowl.
- Lay down your choice of fish on silicone-lined or parchment-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle the seasoning on one side of the fish. Make sure to season the fish very well. Turn the fish and season the other side.
- Drizzle the fish with a little amount of olive oil. Add a small amount of butter onto each fish.
- Bake the cod, halibut, tilapia, or any other fish for 25 minutes. If you want the fish to have the classic brown edges, you can broil them about 5 minutes before finishing the baking process.
- Combine the sour cream, mayonnaise, lime juice, Sriracha, and garlic powder in a small bowl. Make sure to whisk the ingredients very well. You want to blend all the flavors to achieve a uniform taste.
- Heat a large griddle pan or a large skillet over medium to high heat. Toast the corn tortillas.
- Get ready to assemble the easy fish tacos. Get a corn tortilla and place several slices of fish. Add a few slices of avocados. Add the shredded cabbage, cilantro, and diced red onions. Top it off with grated Cotija cheese and drizzle a generous amount of the fish taco sauce. Do the same with the rest of the tortillas. Serve on a large plate with the wedges of lime.
Making the best fish taco recipe is easy. You should give this recipe a try.
- Fish Tacos – No Recipes
- Taco Tuesday: 10 Gorgeous fish tacos that will make you drool – She Knows