Measuring cups and spoons are the best way to take the guesswork out of your cooking and baking and to ensure that your cake or pie actually looks like the picture in the recipe book. And if you are serious about your baking, then reaching into the cupboard for a rough-sized mug or spoon isn’t always going to cut it. Measuring cups and spoons are super-useful for pretty much any cooking task and will make your baking life so much easier – and tastier! And with a host of multi-cup sets available, you can confidently and conveniently get the measure for any baking occasion.
We can help you take the guesswork out of your baking with our review of the best measuring cups you can currently buy.
The Best Measuring Cup
First up, this six-piece dry measuring cups set from Bellemain is really smart, with its high shine stainless-steel and elegant shaping that would look lovely out on your kitchen counter. And at less than $20 you can throw good value into the mix too. All the standard measuring sizes are there plus you get a ¾ cup, so you no longer need to do some tricky guessing for the less than full cup measure, simply fill to the top, level off and you’re good to go.
The stainless-steel used is a good quality, made in one piece so no joins or edges to collect food debris and the whole set is dishwasher safe too. The handle on each cup is flat and wide for a firm grip and with a non-tip bottom, you’ll avoid messy spills. For an all-round, easy to use and durable set that looks good, the Bellemain is one of the best measuring cups out there for the money.
- Weight1 pounds
With its Pyrex glass, renowned for durability and non-odor or stain-absorbing properties, this large measuring cup will become a reliable staple in your kitchen. Holding up to eight cups, the Pyrex Prepware also has easy to read measures on the side so you can get the quantities right every time. From water and stock to oils and milk, this measuring cup can also be used for dry goods and is microwave safe for when you need to heat up or melt your liquid ingredients.
We particularly like the four-position lid so you can work with your ingredients, whether you need to sift, pour, strain or sprinkle as well as just how tough this Pyrex glass measuring cup is. It’s easy to clean too and dishwasher safe, so an excellent kitchen all-rounder.
- ModelGlass Measuring Cup with Lid
- Weight3 pounds
Beautifully made from polished stainless-steel, our Premium Pick is a gorgeous stackable set of measuring cups from KitchenMade that will really help to make your baking add up. And with the nicely styled pouring lip, using these stainless steel measuring cups is a doddle. Shaped to stack and with non-tip bottoms for extra stability, even when full, these cups can be used for both dry and liquid ingredients.
You get all the essential cup sizes too, from ¼ to 1 full cup plus you also have a 1/8th measure marked on the ¼ cup just in case you need it. The high polished steel is cool and modern and is dishwasher safe, with no sharp edges for food debris to gather. We think these are among the best measuring cups and worth the investment.
- Modelmeasuring cups
- Weight1.17 pounds
If you keep losing your single measuring cups or spoons or need a space-saving alternative, check out this neat spoon and measuring cup combo. Designed in two ‘nest’ sets, these well-made stainless-steel cups and spoons are attached for easy storage and ensure they are always to hand. With four sizes for each of the cups and spoons, you may not get as many options as a more expensive set, but you get all the essentials which, with a bit of nifty math can add up to larger or more tailored measures.
The stainless-steel is durable and while not as thick as other models, light enough in the hand and are dishwasher safe too. If you’re looking for a convenient cup and spoon combo set without breaking the bank, these are a good option to consider.
- BrandNew Star Foodservice
- Weight9.6 ounces
For flexibility and accuracy when you’re cooking, this three-piece Pyrex measuring cup set could well be your new kitchen essential. With four cup sizes – made from durable Pyrex glass – the set is also stackable for easy storage. Not only are these glass measuring cups quick to clean, they are also resistant to odors to keep your baking fresh. Ideal for liquid ingredients, you get a slick, easy-pour spout and a solid grip handle to reduce spills and mess.
You can also use this measuring cup set for hot liquids and all four cups are microwave, pre-heated oven and freezer safe as well as good for the dishwasher.
- ModelGlass Measuring Cup Set
- Weight8.51 pounds
Now here is a clever kitchen aid measuring cup that gives you accurate measures first time, thanks to the angled surface that lets you read the measurements from above. Simply add your ingredients and you can read the level from looking down, so no more need to fill, check from the side then adjust. Made from BPA-free plastic, you also get two measuring jugs – for flexible cooking and the printed measures offer both standard and metric for improved accuracy depending on the recipe.
Add in a soft grip handle, the fact that you can use both dry and liquid ingredients and all two jugs are dishwasher safe and you have a three-piece plastic measuring cups set to cover all your cooking bases.
- Weight4.8 ounces
For easy measuring on a budget, this awesome cup and spoon measuring set easily scoops our Best Value title. And while they may be less than $5, that doesn’t mean cheap when it comes to how they perform. Perfect for smaller kitchens where storage is an issue, this 10-piece set is grab and go. You get all the essential sizings – from 1/8th of a teaspoon right up to a full cup – and each cup and spoon set are hooked together on a loop for all-round convenience.
Made from BPA-free plastic that’s also dishwasher safe, the measures are double-molded for durability and the clear, large print measures are set to ensure they won’t come off. The plastic is perhaps not as thick as more expensive models, but that doesn’t really affect the performance and the handles are long enough to scoop inside your ingredient packaging to get out everything you need.
- BrandChef Craft
- Weight3.2 ounces
The Squish Collapsible Measuring Cup Set is a cute and straight-forward measuring tool for your day-to-day baking. Made from BPA-free rubber, the collection of four spoons neatly collapse on to each other for compact storage in a cupboard or drawer. This Squish set would also be a good choice for RVs and camper vans for cooking while on the road. With ¼, 1/3, ½ and 1 full cup measurements, each spoon is color-coded for quick and easy identification and the set is held securely together with a rubberized toggle.
The rubber also makes this measuring cup set pretty durable and while they are not microwave safe, you can pop them in the dishwasher for convenient cleaning.
- Weight12.6 ounces
This KitchenAid measuring cup set does what it says on the tin, and for the price, does it pretty well! Made from BPA-free plastic that is impressively solid and durable, you get four easy to use measuring cups that work well with both wet and dry ingredients. The four cup sizes take you from ¼ to a full cup, giving you enough flexibility to work out additional measures as per your recipe. The large handles on each cup is sold and comfortable to hold, with the measure clearly printed on and all four cups are linked together with a plastic loop for easy storage.
The cups are a little bulky so could make a tight squeeze in some ingredient containers but for a dishwasher safe and durable set of solid, basic cup measures, these are a good bet.
- Weight6.4 ounces
If you have ever struggled with a measuring cup filled with hot liquid or butter, then you will appreciate the cool-fingered touch of the OXO Good Grips Squeeze and Pour. Designed for safely holding melting baking ingredients such as butter or chocolate, the flexible silicone body of the Good Grips is microwave safe and helps to keep your hands protected. Thanks to the honeycomb pattern in the silicon, the measuring cup dissipates heat so that the body is much cooler to hold, even when you take it straight out of the micro oven. With a decent two-cup capacity and clear measurement markings on the side, this is also handy measurer for all your cooking and baking. And with the nicely flexible body and spout, makes everything so much easier to pour. BPA-free and durable, the whole measuring cup is also dishwasher safe, making it a great aid for your everyday kitchen life.
- Weight6.9 ounces
Best Measuring Cup Buying Guide & FAQ
What is a Cup Measurement?
When it comes to baking and cooking, a cup is the standard measurement in the US for both dry and liquid ingredients. An official US cup is 240ml or 8.45 fluid ounces (slightly less than Australia, Canada and South Africa, where a cup is 250ml).
While you can use a coffee cup (if you know that it roughly holds around 24ml), it’s always best to use an accurate set of measuring cups (and ones designed for dry and wet ingredients) to get the very best bake.
What You Should Consider Before Getting a Measuring Cup
You want your measuring cups to give you years of happy baking and so there are certain features to look for before you buy:
- Number of cups: do you go single or go multiple cup? Measuring cups can come in single units or sets of different cup sizes so it all depends on how and what you cook. For everyday food prep, you could get away with a single or small set of measuring cups, but if you’re regularly using multiple ingredients, look for a quality multi-cup set that gives you variety and flexibility to keep your baking on track.
- Capacity: If you love to bake and cook, we suggest going for a larger capacity measuring cup or a variety of sizes in a cup set. A standard sized measuring set should contain ½, 1⁄3, ¼, ¾ and 1 cup capacities and ideally a couple of spoons.
- Material: before you buy, consider how you will be using your new measuring cup or measuring cup set and choose the most appropriate material for your needs and budget. Most measuring cups or spoons are made from either metal, glass or plastic. Stainless-steel tends to be used for bulk baking as they are durable, scratch resistant and don’t absorb odors, while plastic (opt for BPA-free) is a good all-round material that’s not going to bust the budget but can wear down quite quickly. Glass is a quality choice but can be expensive and will break if you don’t look after it. Ceramic measuring cups also look good but can chip if you’re not careful.
- Ease of use: You don’t want a complicated measuring cup set when it comes to using them, and there are some features that are a recipe for success. In particular, look for a measuring cup that has been designed for easy cleaning, so no complicated designs with nooks and crannies that can be tough to wash. Also look for longer handles on your measuring spoons so you can scoop out ingredients from the bottom of the jar. And anti-slip silicone handles come with the best measuring cups, giving you a comfortable grip and heat resistance to protect your hands.
- Label: The measurements on the side of your cup need to be clear and easy to read, as well as durable as you don’t want them wearing off with repeated washing and use. Stamped or painted labels are bold and clear but can have a tendency to rub off over time. Engraved labels are more durable but can be a little harder to read, especially against a stainless-steel background.
Two Types of Measuring Cups
The two key types of measuring cups are for liquid and for dry ingredients and if possible, you should add both to your kitchen cupboard so you can ensure accurate ingredient measurements every time you cook. Here’s the reason why:
- A liquid measuring cup has a measuring line just below the rim so you can correctly measure your quantity and then move the cup over to your bowl without spilling any of the liquid.
- Dry measuring cups have measuring line that enables you to fill it to the brim, so you can scrape off the excess for an accurate result.
If you can’t buy separate dry and liquid measuring cups, then opt for a set that specifies it can do both.
Best Measuring Cup FAQ:
Q: What to use instead of measuring cups?
A: It is always a good idea to have some measuring cups and spoons somewhere in your kitchen for the best baking and cooking results. However, if you ever find yourself short, it is possible to get an almost accurate measurement using everyday items in your cupboards. Here’s our rough guide to how to measure without a measuring cup:
- Measuring cup – use a standard-sized coffee mug
- Tablespoon measurement – a standard dinner spoon
- Teaspoon measure – a coffee spoon you use to stir in sugar or cream
Q: Can I use dry measuring cups for liquid?
A: Well, yes but with cooking you really want to get a precise measurement and that does mean using the right tools for the job. A dry measuring cup will also have the level right at the top so to be accurate you will have to fill your cup with liquid to the brim, which can be messy as it will spill when you move it to the bowl. For an easy baking life, opt for separate dry and liquid measuring cups if you can.
Q: How to make 3/4 cup with measuring cups?
A: For when you need less than a full cup, here’s the easiest way to get that ¾ measure:
Fill your one cup measure to the top then tip half into a half cup measure. Then return ½ of the contents from your ½ cup measure (so that’s ¼ of a cup) back to the original cup to make a ¾ cup measure. Simple!
Our Top Pick
Straightforward and easy to use, the great value Bellemain Stainless Steel Measuring Cups Set scoops our Best Choice top pick. With all the essential dry measuring cups you need, including the tricky ¾ cup, this set is also made out of good quality stainless steel that will look smart in your kitchen and is both durable and dishwasher safe. Add in an easy grip handle and non-tip bottom and the Bellemain measuring cup set is a real recipe for baking success.
- How to Measure Ingredients for Better Baking - Taste of Home