10 Best Picnic Sandwiches
Sandwiches are a mainstay in summer picnics. They can be complete meals in themselves if prepared the correct way. They are also very convenient to eat on the go. If you’re looking to make your picnics more satisfying this summer, then check out these 10 best picnic sandwiches you can make.
Classic Italian Sub Sandwich
One of the best picnic sandwiches is the classic Italian sub. The longer that the different ingredients stay together, the more flavorful it becomes. The secret to making a sumptuous Italian sub is to wrap it very tight in either wax paper or a butcher paper. This will help compress all the ingredients so that the flavors will meld. If you are having issues getting soppressata, you can substitute it with dry Italian salami or Prosciutto di Parma.
- 1 large piece of Italian sub roll
- 3 pieces of Campari tomatoes, sliced
- 2 handfuls of arugulas
- 1/3 lb of rosemary ham
- ¼ lb of hot soppressata
- ¼ lb of mortadella
- ¼ lb of sliced provolone cheese
- 2 tablespoons of banana peppers, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of Italian vinaigrette
- ½ tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
- ¼ piece of a small onion, sliced
- Salt and pepper
- Cut the roll in half, lengthwise.
- Combine the balsamic vinegar and the Italian vinaigrette. Drizzle this into the cut surface of the rolls.
- Place the cheese, ham, and mortadella on one of the roll halves. Top with the soppressata, Campari slices, onions, arugula, and banana peppers. Season with pepper and salt. Cover with the other half of the sub roll.
- Wrap the Italian sub roll with butcher paper. Slice into four.
The rich and tangy flavor of the Cubano makes for one of the best summer sandwiches. The best way to prepare this is by using a sandwich press. You can always improvise using a heavy-bottomed skillet. This picnic sandwich recipe is so easy to prepare and requires minimal ingredients.
- 1 loaf of Cuban bread
- 1 lb of roasted pork, sliced thin
- 1 lb of cooked ham, sliced thin
- ½ lb of Swiss cheese, sliced
- 6 pieces of dill pickles, sliced
- Cooking spray or 2 tablespoons of melted butter
- Yellow mustard or mayonnaise for garnishing
- Heat a large frying pan or a griddle.
- Slice the loaf into quarters. Slice the quarters in half, lengthwise.
- Spread some mayonnaise or yellow mustard onto the bread halves.
- Layer the slices of roasted pork, cooked ham, Swiss cheese, and sliced dill pickles. Cover the ingredients with another bread half.
- Coat the griddle with cooking spray or brush the surface with melted butter.
- Place a Cubano on the pan. Flatten the sandwich to about a third of its original thickness using a heavy-bottomed skillet. Leave it and grill the Cubano for about 2 minutes.
- Remove the skillet and flip the Cubano to grill the other side. Press again using the skillet.
- Slice the Cubano in a diagonal manner.
Bacon, Turkey, and Avocado Club Sandwich
Sandwiches for picnic should not only be delicious; they should also be nutritious. With proteins from turkey and antioxidants from avocado, this club sandwich is sure to be an instant hit with your family. The avocado in this sandwich gives the treat its yummy creaminess. It is a perfect complement to crispy bacon.
- 6 slices of bread
- 10 slices of cooked turkey
- 8 pieces of cooked bacon
- A bag of spinach
- 1 to 2 pieces of tomatoes, sliced
- 1 piece of avocado, sliced thin
- ¼ cup of mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon of garlic powder
- Combine the mayonnaise, garlic powder, and lemon juice. Set aside.
- Toast the bread slices.
- Get a piece of bread slice and layer it with 2 turkey slices, a handful of spinach, 2 slices of bacon, and a slice of fresh tomato.
- Put another bread toast and layer this with turkey slices, 2 bacon pieces, and 4 avocado slices.
- Spread the aioli onto another bread toast. Put this on top of the sandwich, making sure that the aioli side is in contact with the rest of the sandwich.
- Cut the bread diagonally at the corners to create 4 triangular sandwiches. Secure these with toothpicks.
Farmer’s Lunch Sandwich
This is one of the simplest picnic sandwich ideas you can ever make. The secret is in the use of crunchy apples and sharp cheddar cheese. Grainy mustard if perfect for adding texture, while the lemon juice will contrast the flavor of onion jam. This picnic sandwich recipe is perfect for light summer meals. It is very easy to make and requires no cooking at all.
- 1 loaf of ciabatta or baguette
- Sharp cheddar cheese
- Whole grain mustard
- Butter lettuce
- 3 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 2 Braeburn or Granny Smith apples, sliced thin
- Onion-thyme jam
- Cut the bread in four. Slice each piece in half, lengthwise.
- Spread a small amount of grainy mustard on both bread halves.
- Spread a little amount of jam on one of the halves. Toss the slices of apple with lemon juice. Place the apple slices on the bread.
- Add lettuce and top with cheese.
- Cover with another bread half and press.
- Wrap the sandwich in wax paper.
Vietnamese Turkey Sandwich
One of the most popular picnic sandwiches is the turkey sandwich. The good thing about such a snack is that you can always modify it a bit to make it more interesting. Adding Sriracha and salami to your ordinary turkey sandwich is sure to give it that ‘kick’ you’ve always wanted. If you are having issues sourcing Sriracha, you can always substitute it with Tabasco hot sauce.
- 2 pieces of hoagie rolls
- 6 slices of Salami
- 4 ounces of turkey, shredded
- 4 ounces of fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 pieces of radishes, julienned
- 2 pieces of scallions, chopped
- 1 piece of carrot, julienned
- 2 tablespoons of rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon of hot sauce or Sriracha
- Combine the mayonnaise and hot sauce. It would be best to use Sriracha. Set aside.
- Combine the carrot, radishes, and scallions. Add the rice vinegar and toss well.
- Spread the Sriracha-mayo mixture on the hoagie rolls.
- Layer with salami and shredded turkey. Add the vegetables. Top with fresh cilantro.
- Slice the hoagie rolls in two or wrap them as a whole.
Crispy Coconut Shrimp Sandwich
If you’re going on a picnic at the beach, then these summer sandwiches are perfect. The shrimp should make your beach adventures more meaningful. The taste of coconut will make you feel like you’re on a tropical island. It has a hint of sweetness and the delicious goodness of seafood in a crunchy shell. It is a different take on the classic Banh Mi.
- 4 pieces of hoagie rolls
- 20 pieces of large shrimp, deshelled and deveined
- ½ cup of panko
- ½ cup of coconut meat, shredded
- 1 large egg
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 3 tablespoons of cornstarch
- Salt and pepper
- Sliced scallions, jalapeno, radishes, and cucumber
- Combine shredded coconut, panko, salt, and pepper. Put in a bowl.
- Beat the egg in another bowl.
- Put the cornstarch in another bowl.
- Dip one shrimp in the cornstarch and then in the beaten egg. Coat the shrimp with the coconut mixture. Do the same with the rest of the shrimp.
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a nonstick skillet and heat it to medium. Cook 10 pieces of the shrimp for about 1 to 2 minutes on each side. Do the same with the other 10 shrimp, using the remaining oil.
- Spread mayonnaise and Sriracha on the hoagie rolls. Layer the rolls with the shrimp and top it with the vegetables.
Tomato Mozzarella Sandwich
You cannot get any simpler than having a toasted tomato and mozzarella sandwich. It is hot, juicy, and gooey. Best of all, you will never have to worry about having so many ingredients to work with. This is a classic Italian sandwich that focuses more on simplicity, allowing you to savor the richness of mozzarella. It can be an amazing picnic sandwich as it is a tasty finger food at parties.
- 2 slices of bread
- 4 thin slices of mozzarella
- ¼ tomato, sliced
- Salt and pepper
- Heat a skillet and coat it with olive oil.
- Place a bread slice and layer with 2 slices of mozzarella.
- Top with tomato slices and season with pepper and salt.
- Place the remaining 2 slices of mozzarella and top off with the other bread slice.
- Flip the bread if the bottom already looks golden brown. Press the sandwich using a heavy-bottomed skillet and continue cooking for 3 to 4 minutes.
Raw Lettuce Burritos
This is not your classic sandwich. However, it still makes for an excellent treat whenever you are having a picnic. It has a crunch to it that can complement the richness of the avocados. Both the garlic and the jalapeno can provide you with a classic Mexican spiciness that is essential in any burrito. These sandwiches for picnic are also perfect for food potlucks. They also make great transitional foods that will make you crave for more.
- 8 large lettuce leaves
- 2 pieces of very ripe avocados
- 3 pieces of tomatoes, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- ¾ cup of fresh corn kernels
- ¼ cup of cilantro, chopped
- ½ jalapeno, diced
- 2 tablespoons of yellow onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons of lime juice
- Mash the avocado and mix the rest of the ingredients, except the lettuce leaves.
- Scoop about 3 tablespoons of the avocado mixture and place in the center of one lettuce leaf.
- Wrap it like a burrito.
Pimiento Cheese Sandwich
People from the South love their pimiento cheese. It is one of the most versatile sandwich spreads you can ever make. It’s one of the best picnic sandwiches because of its ease of preparation and exceptional versatility. You can use it as an appetizer spread or a sumptuous dip for your apple slices, crackers, and crusty French breads. You can keep this spread in your refrigerator and it will be good to use for 4 days. If you want to use it as a dip, make sure to add more mayonnaise to the base recipe. An alternative will be to add heavy cream until you achieve the preferred consistency of a dip.
- 8 ounces of softened cream cheese
- 2 cups of shredded Colby or Cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup of mayonnaise
- 4 ounces of minced pimientos
- 2 tablespoons of grated onion
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon of pepper
- ¼ teaspoon of celery salt
- Mix the cream cheese and the mayonnaise. Blend well until smooth.
- Add the garlic, pepper, sugar, salt, and onion into the mixture and combine well.
- Add the Colby or Cheddar cheese and blend well.
- Fold in the pimientos in a gentle manner. Mix well.
- Transfer into a sterilized jar and cover. Refrigerate until you are ready to spread it on your favorite bread.
Onion and Cheese Sandwich
This is one of the easiest sandwiches to make. There are very few ingredients that can give you plenty of room for improvisations. The secret here is to use the sharpest cheese you can ever find. Think about a cheese that is quite difficult to eat without giving it some sort of accompaniment. As for the onions, it would be best to stick with the sweet white varieties. However, you can always use chives, shallots, and red onions. Everything depends on how ‘oniony’ you want the sandwich to be. You also need an agent to bind everything together. Mayonnaise works best. You can also try salad cream. Whatever you use, make sure not to overpower the flavor of the cheese.
- 4 slices of toasted or untoasted bread
- 4 ounces of grated Cheddar, Cotswold, Red Leicester, or Double Gloucester cheese
- 2 tablespoons of sweet white onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons of scallions, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Combine the cheese, mayonnaise, and onions.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread some butter onto the surface of the bread slices.
- Spread the onion and cheese mixture.
These 10 picnic sandwich ideas are perfect for enjoying the summer. They can also serve as healthy snack items throughout the year.
- The Very Important Italian Cold-Cut Sandwich Rules – Bon Appetit