The definitive Chick-Fil-A sandwich is an object of unassuming loveliness. It is one of the more popular chicken sandwich restaurant-inspired recipes which you can try to make at home. It is a spicy, salty, crisp fried chicken sandwich which is a treat for the taste buds. All you need is the best chicken breast, soft and toasted burger buns, two pickles and you are well on your way to having the perfectly created sandwich.
Why a Chick-Fil-A Sandwich Tastes So Good
What makes this sandwich so good is the right combination of each of its well thought out ingredients. You will get a crunchy golden crust spiced in a way that gives you that much sought after sweet and savory balance. This is far from being a dry, boring, stringy, chicken sandwich. The Chick-Fil-A Sandwich has unmatched juiciness, with a meaty texture and intensely seasoned taste.
If you love Chick–fil-A but cannot really afford to keep taking all the family for chicken sandwiches all the time, then below is a faultless copycat recipe for the original Chick-fil-A to make at home and it will taste just like the real sandwich that you can buy.
Key Chick-Fil-A Sandwich ingredients
- The kind of sandwich bun you need to use is a normal hamburger-style bun. You will need a soft sweet bun which has a fluffy texture inside. It should measure around 4 inches in diameter. To get the full effect, toast your buns in a skillet in melted butter.
- The pickles are also a key ingredient in the Chick-Fil-A Sandwich. You can experiment with few different types of brands of dill pickles. The two-pickle rule is a must for a Chick-Fil-A Sandwich so use pickles which have a bigger surface area and a vinegary flavor.
- To really get the right texture try brining your chicken breast. This is where your lean meat is left in saltwater which gradually melts its muscle proteins. This will give the chicken more ability to hold onto moisture and it changes the texture of the chicken to create an agreeably springy, tender texture.
Homemade Chick-Fil-A Sandwich Recipe
Preparation time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
Makes 2 sandwiches
2 chicken breasts
4 pickle slices
1/2 cup dill pickle juice
1 cup plain flour
2 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 burger buns
1 tablespoon butter
Oil for frying
Wrap up the chicken breasts in plastic wrap and using a tenderiser pound the chicken gently until each breast is about 1/2 inch thick.
Soak in the pickle juice for up to an hour – add any other herbs and spices that you wish to substitute at this point.
Get a bowl and beat the egg and milk together.
In a separate bowl, mix up the flour and sugar together.
When ready dip your tenderized chicken pieces into the egg mix covering the whole chicken and then coat them in flour.
Heat your oil in a skillet to about 350 degrees and fry for roughly 2 minutes on each side, or up until they look golden and are well cooked through.
Serve on toasted burger buns along with those 2 pickle slices.
- You can experiment with using different oils for slightly different flavors. Peanut oil, vegetable oil, and coconut oil are all interesting options according to your taste.
- As soon as you have dipped the chicken in to the egg mix and then the dry flour, try putting them onto foil and allow the coating to dry out before cooking for at least 30 minutes. This is an added extra element to add taste to your Chick-Fil-A Sandwich as it will let the air to circulate around your chicken. This aids the dry coating to completely stick to the chicken since the wet mix should have evaporated to some extent. It will also assist in making the coating much crispier.
- Likewise, if you would like to be slightly more healthy and bake your chicken, you can substitute breadcrumbs for the flour mix and coat your chicken in this way. Bake for 15 minutes until the chicken is properly cooked all the way through.
- You can use additional spices if you would like your sandwich to be a little hotter. Try adding extra hot sauce, tabasco and cayenne for extra spicy flavor.
A family favorite which is easy to make at home. Why not match up your Chick-Fil-A sandwich with fries and a soda and have easy fast food for a family night in.
- COPYCAT CHICK-FIL-A SANDWICH – Damn Delicious