Best Chicken and Waffle Sandwich Recipe
Primed with fermented dough/batter, waffles are an absolute delicacy which comes with a wide array of varieties to let people choose from. Although they are very much popular in almost all corners of the world, one thing that most people are unaware of is the twelve local varieties of waffles that you can find only throughout the state of Belgium on its own.
In the past few years, so many entrepreneurs and moguls throughout the globe have stepped into the waffle business because of its ever-increasing popularity, that people are bound to come across at least one waffle store while they are on the go!
If you happen to make waffles at home, you are perhaps aware of the aspect that waffles can be quite challenging to make without the use of waffle irons. Waffle irons are literally a life savior when it comes to making the perfectly shaped waffles since all you need to do is just put your batter into the iron and operate it.
You can also choose these waffle irons from your nearby general stores keeping your desired pattern and size of the waffles in mind. However, if you do not plan on investing on a waffle iron anytime soon, you can always try applying alternative approaches like toasting frozen waffles or cooking the waffle batter/dough on a grill pan which will enable you to form wavy patterns on your waffle.
Nonetheless, as we have mentioned before, this sweet delicacy can be made in a couple of ways depending on which way you prefer to eat it. Some of these options may include the following:
- American Waffles
- Brussels Waffles
- Belgian Waffles
- Flemish Waffles
- Pandan Waffles
- Waffles on a Stick
- Scandinavian Style Waffles
- Hotdog Waffles
- Rolled Waffles
As you can already assume from the names, they are all extensively different from each other in terms of taste, texture, flavor and origin. Not to mention, each country has its own regional flavored waffles and it would be a shame if you did not try some of them at least once in your life.
Also, please note that the variations of waffles are not only limited to the ones stated above. There are clearly a lot of other kinds available out there and it is quite a difficult task to comprise all of them into a single list.
However, among all these diverse varieties of waffles, the ‘Chicken & Waffle Sandwich’ is a definite crowd pleaser nowadays and people just cannot seem to be getting enough of this unique waffle! So, what is it that makes this particular dish so special? And how should you make the ultimate chicken & waffle sandwich at the ease of your home? – Read ahead to find out more!
Chicken & Waffle Sandwich
Let’s face it. Not everyone likes to have desserts like waffles which are extra sweet to taste. Also, when it comes to sandwiches, nothing on this earth can ever beat a classic chicken sandwich with a crispy crust along with your desired dressing.
Hence, what better way to combine the two together other than making a chicken and waffle sandwich on your own? Not to mention, it is also a win-win situation for people who are diabetic since they get to try these delicious waffles without having to worry about their blood sugar level at the same time.
So, if you are planning on making this delicacy at home, it is only fair that you follow the best chicken & waffle sandwich recipe to meet your cravings! Therefore, we have put together the following recipe to help you get started.
Buttermilk Fried Chicken & Bacon Cheddar Waffle Sandwich
Ingredients for Buttermilk Fried Chicken:
- Canola oil
- Chicken breasts (2 large slices, split in half)
- Buttermilk ( ¾ cups)
- Hot sauce ( ½ tablespoon, Optional)
- Cornstarch ( 1 cup)
- Paprika ( ½ teaspoon)
- All-purpose -flour ( ½ cup)
- Black Pepper ( ½ teaspoon)
- Salt ( ½ teaspoon)
- Garlic Powder ( ½ teaspoon)
- Cayenne Pepper ( ½ teaspoon)
- For the first step, take the canola oil and decant it inside the fryer to allow it to heat up properly.
- Take out a dish and coat the chicken with hot sauce and buttermilk.
- Give it a good shake to ensure that the chicken is fully dipped into the mixture.
- Wrap a plastic cover on it and refrigerate it for about half an hour (You can marinate it for as long as you want to for better taste)
- Mix the garlic powder, cornstarch, cayenne pepper, black pepper, salt, flour and paprika in a bowl.
- Take individual chicken slices and coat it on both sides with the mixture as per point number 5 once you are done marinating it.
- Take a tray and cover it with a baking sheet.
- Place the chicken slices covered in the mixture and let it sit for about 10-15 minutes.
- Now, for the final step, deep dry all the slices in a fryer for about 7 minutes and drain out the oil by placing it on a rack. This will also cool it down a little. You can also fry up the pieces individually if your fryer is a bit smaller in size.
Ingredients for Bacon Cheddar Waffles:
- Cooking Spray
- All-purpose- flour ( 1 cup)
- 2 Green Onions/ Scallions (Sliced)
- Brown Sugar ( 1/8 cup)
- Cheddar Cheese ( ½ cup, shredded)
- Baking Soda ( ½ teaspoon)
- Bacon ( 3 slices, diced & cooked)
- Baking Powder ( ¾ teaspoons)
- Buttermilk ( 1 cup, At Room Temperature)
- Salt ( ¼ teaspoon)
- Unsalted Butter ( 8 teaspoons, cool & melted)
- Black Pepper ( ½ teaspoon, fresh)
- Eggs ( 2, At Room Temperature)
- Before you begin, make sure to heat the waffle iron beforehand.
- Take a dish and mix the brown sugar, baking powder, black pepper, flour, baking soda and salt evenly. Make sure to finish off any lumps.
- Now, whisk the eggs in another bowl and dump it into the mixture as per point 2.
- Pour in the buttermilk and melted butter into the same bowl once you are done with the eggs.
- Take a spatula to mix everything together.
- Keep on mixing until you find a fine consistency. (If the mixture seems a little thick, pour in some more buttermilk to thin it out) You can also keep this batter a little lumpy is you wish.
- The next step is to add in the cheddar cheese, bacon and green onions. Mix it until a fine texture is achieved.
- Take the waffle iron and coat it with the cooking spray.
- Decant the batter into the cavity of the waffle iron and wait until it turns golden brown in color. Make sure it’s crispy too.
- For the last step, take out a tray and put a baking sheet on it before popping the waffles into the oven at 200° F. Take it out when you are ready to make the sandwich.
Ingredients for Maple Sriracha Aioli:
- Maple Syrup ( 1 tablespoon, fresh & pure)
- Mayonnaise ( 1/3 cup)
- Sriracha Hot Sauce ( 1 tablespoon)
- Take a dish and mix up all the ingredients together. Use it while making the sandwich.
Ingredients for Toppings:
- Cheddar Cheese (You can also put any other toppings or dressings you prefer for your sandwich)
Directions for making the sandwich:
- Set out a plate aside and place the chicken slices in it.
- Put the cheddar cheese slices on top of the chicken pieces and place it in your preheated oven.
- Pop it out of the oven once it has melted a little and place it on one side of your waffle.
- You can now add any other toppings like tomatoes or lettuce if you like.
- Pour in the maple sriracha aioli sauce on the other half of the waffle.
- The final step is to put one half of the waffle on the other half to make it a complete sandwich.
Make sure to serve it hot on the dinner table to enjoy the fine crispiness of your waffles. You can also try out different dressings or sauce to drizzle on top of your preferred toppings. Flaunt away your culinary skills by trying out other ingredients that you think might go well with your waffles. Feel free to browse through recipe books or the internet to try out more recipes once you have mastered this one!
- Buttermilk Fried Chicken and Bacon Cheddar Waffle Sandwich Recipe – Cooking With Janica