One mouthwatering flavor that people love undeniably is chocolate! From making cakes to ice creams, milkshakes and crepes, this ingredient comes in handy at all times. There are innumerable ways of using chocolate in your dishes to either enhance the flavor or to decorate it. Two of the most popular ways of doing this is by using chocolate shavings and curls in your desserts. Not only does this make the dish taste great, but it also makes your desserts look as good as the ones you are served by professional chefs at restaurants.
So, how to make these chocolate shavings and curls? Read ahead to find out more!
How to Make Chocolate Curls?
In order to make chocolate curls, you will need a large bar of chocolate or a cup of chocolate chip and water. If you don’t already have the chocolate chips or bar at home, head to the store and grab either of these chocolate items to move forward with the recipe.
- The key to making the perfect chocolate curl is melting the chocolate chips or bar using a double boiler. Take a saucepan and fill it up with a single cup of water. Allow it to heat up and boil while you put another bowl or dish on top of your saucepan and pour the chocolate in it. Lower the heat of the stove to slowly melt the chocolate.
- Use a spatula to stir the melting chocolate to make sure there are no remaining chunks in it. You need to be careful while melting it because water droplets may form along the sides of the dish and combine with the chocolate. If this happens, you will not be able to make chocolate curls out of them. Hence, make sure to prevent water droplets from developing by maintaining a very low heat.
- You need to put the dish off the stove right before the chocolate begins to completely meltdown. Give it a good stir and set it aside to let it cool down.
- For the fourth step, you will require a waxed paper placed on a baking sheet to pour off the chocolate once it has cooled down. Pour it away slowly and evenly spread it across the sheet with the help of a spatula or any other kitchenware you feel comfortable with.
- This step is very important to get rid of air bubbles from the chocolate on the sheet. All you need to do is slightly hit the tray on your worktop a couple of times to get the job done.
- To harden the chocolate spread you can either keep it outside for several minutes or put it inside the refrigerator or freezer to make the process faster. You will need to wait for around 20 minutes till it becomes hard.
- Once the chocolate has hardened, put the sheet on a secure place so that it does not slip while you do your work.
- Use a knife or a blade from your kitchen and start scraping from one end to the other to make perfect chocolate curls. Remember, they do not to be equal in size so you can either make short or long scrapes from any corner of the sheet you like.
- When you have formed a couple of curls, with the help of a toothpick, a stick or any other utensil, pick them up slowly and place it on your dessert to decorate.
How to Make Chocolate Shavings?
Making chocolate shavings is the easiest of them all. You only need to find a bar of chocolate (make sure that the bar is not soft) which tastes good and freeze it for a couple of hours before you begin.
- As mentioned above, the first step is to get an incredible piece of chocolate bar in hand and freeze it.
- The second and last step is to use a clean vegetable peeler to peel through the chocolate to form the perfect chocolate shavings for your dessert.
Make sure to follow the steps accordingly to end up with amazingly shaped shavings or curls from your favorite chocolate bars or chips. If you are wondering how to make chocolate spirals, all that you will require is a rolling pin and a piece of waxed sheet wrapped around it using rubber bands or tapes. The next step is to pour the melted chocolate in a pastry bag and gently squeeze it sideways and down the rolling pin (in a zigzag pattern). Lastly, set it aside to harden and then take out the pieces with patience so that they don’t break down. Put it inside a zip lock bag and freeze it for later use or serve it up immediately with your dessert.
You can also try making other patterns using a waxed sheet and a pastry bag. The steps listed above are all that you will require to make the best chocolate curls, shavings or spirals. However, if you have greater ways of making them, do let us know in the comment section below!
- HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE CURLS – Life Love and Sugar