How to Make Crab Cakes With Canned Crab
Crab cakes may be the specialty of Maryland and Virginia but it is an absolute favorite of people all around the world. And while these special fishcakes can be made from fresh crab meat itself, the canned ones are not bad at all! Thus, we bring you crab cake recipes made from canned crab which taste just as great!
Crab Cakes With Chipotle Mayo Crab Cake Sauce
Ingredients for cake:
- Lump crab meat 1 pound
- Bell pepper ½ cup
- Large eggs 2
- Old Bay Seasonings 2 teaspoon
- Mayonnaise 2 tablespoon
- Garlic 1 clove
- Cilantro 1 tablespoon
- Salt to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Cornstarch ¼ cup
- Olive oil 1 tablespoon
- Panko bread crumb
- Transfer the crab meat in a bowl, add chopped bell peppers and continue to put other ingredients like 1 beaten egg, the seasoning and mayo. Mince the garlic and chop the cilantro and add them along with salt and pepper as well.
- Loosely stir all these ingredients till they form a mixture but do not overwork the mix.
- Refrigerate the mix for 1 hour to a maximum of 5 hours.
- Once the refrigerating period is over, take the bowl out. Scoop out enough to make flat discs, depending on your desired size. However, 1/3 of the mixture would be the best way to go, giving you discs of 3-inch diameters. Lightly dust cornstarch on the surface of each disc.
- Now, beat your second egg and then dunk the discs in it.
- Put the discs in the bread crumb, creating a light layer around it.
- Put your skillet over medium heat and pour in your oil and let it heat up.
- Place the crab cakes when the oil is hot enough and cook for 3-4 minutes (on each side). The color should be light golden brown on each side which will indicate that the cakes are done.
Ingredients for the sauce:
- Mayonnaise 1 cup
- Chives 2 tablespoons
- Garlic 2 cloves
- Lime juice 2 teaspoons
- Chipotle chili powder 1 teaspoon
Making the sauce only involves one step. All you have to do is combine all the ingredients in a bowl. Make sure the garlic is minced and the chives are chopped finely. And then mix everything till it looks well-incorporated, smooth and creamy. Then store in the fridge before serving.
Maryland Crab Cakes
Ingredients for cake:
- large eggs 2
- mayonnaise 2 ½ tablespoons
- Dijon mustard 1 ½ teaspoons
- Worcestershire sauce 1 teaspoon
- Old Bay seasoning 1 teaspoon
- Salt ¼ teaspoon
- celery, from one stalk ¼ cup
- parsley 2 tablespoons
- lump crab meat 1 pound
- panko ½ cup
- canola oil (for cooking)
While this is classic Maryland crab cake, the procedure is all the same. Only the ingredients for the mixture a bit different – eggs, mayo, the mustard and sauce. This is accompanied by Old Bay seasoning, salt, celery and parsley (diced and chopped). Stir all of it in with the meat and panko and you are good to go! Do not forget to refrigerate for an hour and only cook for 3-5 minutes.
Broiled Crab Cake Recipe
- Crushed saltine crackers 1 1/8 cups
- Mayo 1 cup
- Prepared brown mustard 1 teaspoon
- Onions (chopped) ¼ cup
- Celery (chopped) 1 stalk
- Old Bay Seasoning 1 teaspoon
- Crab Meat 1 pound
This too is an easy process. The only difference is that before you get down to making the crab cake mix, you let your oven pre-heat. Set the oven on broiler and make sure the temperature is at 400° F. Have a baking sheet ready too, oiled beforehand. Once you have the mix (made up of the crackers, mayo, mustard, onions, celery, seasoning and crab meat), all you have to do is shape it into discs and put them on the sheet, broiling each side of the discs for 8-10 minutes. Here too, the color should be golden brown.
Healthy Crab Cake Recipe
Whether a crab cake is healthy or not is determined by the ingredients in it and the cooking process too. Some recipes include veggies like bell pepper, scallions, celery and parsley. Some people really go for a healthier cooking medium, meaning they use oils that have extra health benefits and that minimize health risks. Olive oil is a favourite for these kinds of people. And there is another group of people who think the cooking process is what changes everything. This group, essentially relies more on baking rather than the usual methods.
Do not forget crab’s own health benefits as well – it has a low fat and calorie content and is packed with protein. This itself should be enough to make a healthy recipe suited for all kinds of people and especially those concerned about their hearts. So grab a fresh can of crab meat and dive into the kitchen, testing your culinary skills.
- CRAB CAKES – Tastes Better From Scratch
- Maryland Crab Cakes with Quick Tartar Sauce – Onece Upon a Chef