Simple Homemade Soft Pretzels
Pretzel is a classic German baked pastry that can be eaten as a snack, an appetizer or a light lunch or even as a dinner item. While it is a very common dish found in restaurants, nothing can beat the flavor of a fresh homemade pretzel assorted with everyone’s favorite toppings and seasonings. If you have been wondering about how to make pretzels at home, check out this recipe where we give instructions, tips and tricks on baking the most perfect pretzels that everyone will devour at once.
How to Make Pretzels
If you are familiar with the dish, then you probably already know that pretzels come in both soft and hard textures. While soft pretzels are baked for serving right away, hard pretzels can be stored and eaten later. In our recipe, we will guide you through how to make soft pretzels for an extra fancy snack time.
In order to try this easy pretzel recipe, you only need some common baking ingredients and a moderate baking skill. While making the pretzel dough is similar to making any baked items, the secret of good pretzels lies in the baking soda bath. This extra step gives the dough its traditional flavor and texture. Once you master this process, you can always experiment with different seasonings in the dough and create your own version of this classic dish.
What to Serve with Pretzels
After you have baked a fresh batch of soft pretzels, you can simply eat them plain or serve them with a wide variety of dipping sauces or other toppings. Here are a couple of food options that go excellent with soft pretzels:
- Yellow Mustard
- Cheddar Cheese
- Cream Cheese
- Pizza Sauce
- Caramel Sauce
- Chocolate Sauce
- Nacho Cheese
- Ranch Dressing
- Cinnamon Sugar
- Sliced Jalapeño
- Garlic Sauce
Pretzel is one of those dishes where you can show off your creativity by trying out different toppings and seasonings. The most common pretzel variation is the spicy pretzel where you can use ranch dressing, lemon pepper seasoning, dill and garlic salt. You can also use a bit of onion powder, garlic powder and olive oil if you want an Italian twist on the recipe.
If you want your pretzels to be extra spicy, try adding cayenne pepper or minced Jalapeño in the dough. This will surely give you the spicy kick that you are looking for. If you prefer a sweeter version instead, try increasing the amount of sugar to 1/2 cups along with cinnamon powder, maple syrup and a bit more salt to balance the sweet and saltiness. As you can see, the options for making flavor-packed pretzels are endless.
Simple Homemade Soft Pretzels Recipe
Time: 1 hour 20 minutes| Servings: 8
This is a simple homemade pretzel recipe that is perfect for a family snack time. With only a few basic ingredients, you can easily bake this extra delicious, soft and salty appetizer item and serve with your favorite dipping sauces.
- Mixing bowls
- Wooden Spatula
- Baking oven
- Baking Sheet
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Large Saucepan
- Slotted Spatula
Related Post: Best Spatula
- 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Large Egg
- 4 tsp. Instant Yeast/ Active Dry Yeast
- 1 1/2 cup lukewarm Water
- 3 tbsp. Oil
- 2 tbsp. Sugar
- Pinch of coarse Sea Salt
- 1 tbsp. Water
- 1 tsp. Kosher Salt
Baking Soda Bath
- 1/3 cup Baking Soda
- 5 cups Water
- Take a small mixing bowl and pour 1 1/2 cup lukewarm water. Add the yeast and the sugar. Stir a few times. Let the mixture turn foamy and creamy. This may take about 5-10 minutes.
- Add the oil to the mixture. Stir again and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and the kosher salt. Pour the yeast mixture. Combine all the ingredients together. Add more flour if the dough seems sticky. Press the dough with your finger. If the dough feels bouncy, it is ready for kneading.
- Place the dough on a flat and floured surface. Knead for about 10-12 minutes until a smooth texture forms.
- Lightly coat a mixing bowl with a bit of oil. Put the dough in the bowl and turn a few times to coat it with the oil. Cover the bowl with a plastic wrap and keep it in a warm place. Let it sit for about 1 hour. When the dough has doubled in size, it is ready for the next steps.
- Take the dough and place it on a lightly floured surface. Divide it into 8 equal portions.
- Roll each dough into long rope shapes and form them into small pretzels. You can do so by taking the ends of the ropes and forming a circular shape. Twist an inch from the ends and bring them towards the middle section of the rope. Press them on the dough and there you have your pretzel shape!
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Prepare a baking sheet by placing a foil paper on it. Spread on some non-stick cooking spray.
- Take a large saucepan. Add 5 cups of water and the baking soda. Stir the mixture and bring to a boil to dissolve the baking soda. Remove from heat when the baking soda has dissolved completely.
- Dip each pretzel dough into the water-baking soda mixture. Keep it in the solution for 10-20 seconds. Use a slotted spatula to remove it from the water. Place on the prepared baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, add the egg with 1 tbsp. water. Beat the mixture until a foamy texture is formed.
- Lightly brush the pretzels with the egg mixture. Sprinkle some coarse sea salt on top.
- Bake in the oven for about 8-10 minutes. Remove from the oven when the pretzels turn golden brown.
- Serve warm with a mouth-smacking dipping sauce or your favorite toppings.
- Use a stand mixer bowl to knead the dough if you want to avoid the manual labor. The kneading time should be the same as kneading by hand.
- Substitute oil for melted unsalted butter for a distinct buttery flavor.
- Use different seasonings in the dough for a unique take on this basic pretzel recipe.
- This recipe calls for 8 larger size pretzels. However, you can make bite-size pretzels by cutting the ropes in halves.
- If you want to keep the pretzels warm for a longer period of time, wrap them in foil and place in a slow cooker in the warm setting. Pour a bit of water at the bottom of the cooker if the pretzels seem dry.
- Keep them in an airtight container or a zip-locked bag and place in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- Store the pretzels in the refrigerator only after they have cooled down completely.
- Before Re-heating them, brush on some water or melted butter. Heat up in the oven at 350 degrees for 6-8 minutes or microwave them for 10-15 seconds for soft baked pretzels.
Pretzel is a popular pastry item that goes with both sweet and savory dishes, which makes it a perfect dish for any occasion. This easy homemade pretzels recipe is a must-try for everyone who loves baking. The slow cooking process of the pretzels is not only relaxing but also a great learning experience for the rising home cooks.