How to Make a Frittata: Best Frittata Recipe
The frittata is essentially one of the greatest foods that you can make in your own kitchen. It is really quick to make, effortless, economical, and it is the perfect way for leftovers to get used up. It is just as appetizing to eat at any time of the day from breakfast all the way through to dinner. Frittata is a useful and customizable meal and will become a staple meal in your home. Learning how to make a frittata is easy to do if you follow a few simple rules.
What is a Frittata?
It is essentially a delicious Italian recipe which is created to use up all of the leftover vegetables, cheese, and herbs that you have in your refrigerator. All you do is bake them together along with a few eggs. Frittatas are essentially across between an omelette and a quiche without the crust. They are made from eggs mixed with any other ingredients that you have to hand. With so many options for the best frittata recipe, the versatility of a frittata makes it a helpful dish to use at any time.
A frittata can be eaten either cold or warm and the opportunities for adding in whatever you wish are unending and you can get creative to make it work for you.
It is showier than a traditional omelette because you can bake it in the oven if you follow an easy baked frittata recipe. And different to a quiche, there is no requirement to produce a crust or use cream in the recipe. The best thing about creating a frittata is that you most likely will not have to go out shopping. Just add cheese and eggs to food that is ready to expire to prevent waste.
Easy Breakfast Frittata
Undeniably, the clean-up will be quick and simple as it can be a one-pan dish, but this is not the only positive thing going for a frittata. Apart from it clearly tasting delightful, following an easy frittata recipe will also have other benefits:
- It can be made the night before making life easy.
- A frittata can be made easily without much fuss first thing in the day.
- Frittata can be sliced into bite-sized pieces which can be fantastic for giving to little children.
- It can simply be tailored to suit all tastes
- It can be enjoyed cold, so it is great in picnics.
- It is a great choice for packing in the school lunchbox.
- It is perfect for those who love their veggies or who are following a vegan diet.
Related Post: Vegetarian Cookbooks
How Long to Cook a Frittata
Making a frittata includes two main cooking techniques, you can use the stove or bake it the oven relatively quickly. Therefore, this does mean that you will need to use a pan which is oven proof with cast iron pans being the best option. How long you take to cook a frittata will to some extent depend on the pan you use. You can use a larger pan for a quicker cook, but then you may require more oil in your pan to stop the eggs from sticking. If the frittata is relatively thin, then you will need a longer cooking time. But in reality, you will have a meal on the table in under 30 minutes if your ingredients are all ready to go. Be careful not to cook the frittata for too long as it can turn out to be rubbery. You need to cook your frittata for just long enough for the eggs to set and stop being too runny. The cooking time of a frittata will vary and will be based on factors such as the thickness of the mixture, and the number of vegetables that you add, so watch your cooking frittata carefully.
Vegetable Frittata Recipe
Cooked vegetables need to be used before you go ahead and add eggs as this is both essential for the flavor and consistency of your frittata. This also guarantees that your vegetables will be fully cooked in your recipe. It is also vital to cook vegetables first in your vegetable frittata recipe to prevent surplus water from infiltrating your egg mixture too much. You can simply cook vegetables on your stove and then just combine them with your delicious egg mixture for a tasty stovetop frittata.
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup red onions chopped
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 cup mushrooms chopped
- ½ cup tomatoes sliced
- Olive oil for frying
Preheat your oven.
Stir together the egg, half the cheese and add the salt and pepper. Set the egg mixture to the side.
Heat up the olive oil in a pan on the stove. Add the chopped-up onions, sliced mushrooms and cook for around 5 minutes or until the vegetables have softened.
Next, pour the eggs over the cooked vegetables which have been cooking in the pan and add the sliced tomatoes and spinach. Add the left-over cheese.
Bake the frittata uncovered in the oven and cook until the center of the dish begins to set which will take about 20 minutes
Easy Frittata Recipe Tips
- Keep a watch on it as it cooks away in the oven, as you will want the middle of the frittata to keep a little jiggle to it when it comes out of the oven. Permit it to rest for around 5 mins out of the oven and the inside will go on cooking.
- You can mix up the vegetables that you use to suit your taste but then again just be aware of the water content of the vegetables that you use and the cooking time.
- Beat the egg mixture just a little first. However, keep in mind that over beaten eggs while cooking will look fluffy but will go flat and dense if the frittata is left to cool. Beat just long enough to blend the whites and the yolks.
- Season the mixture as much as you like. Add a plentiful sprinkle of salt and pepper to the eggs, but you can also add fresh herbs for added flavor before you pour your eggs into your pan. This guarantees that the extra flavor will be well-distributed throughout the frittata
- For a quick cook, use the stove top and cook while waiting for the edges to start to pull away after a few minutes from the sides of the pan then pop it into the oven to finish. This gives you the best frittata and assists you in preventing the final result being an overcooked frittata. You can cook your frittata totally on the stove, but frittatas cooked in this way may not cook the most evenly.
- There are some popular substitutes that will work well in an easy frittata recipe. Yogurt is a good optional extra for a creamier frittata or you could add in a cup of sour cream to the egg mixture for a richer texture. Fresh herbs like oregano and tarragon give extra taste, and cooked beans like lentils can provide a different texture. Try using leftover cooked pasta or rice too.
- You can use any cheese or a mixture of cheese as you wish. Hard cheese is best, and it will melt really well. Some of the best cheeses for a frittata are parmesan, feta, mozzarella, and ricotta.
- Cooked veggies are the star of a good frittata and greens like kale, leeks, asparagus, broccoli, peas or chard are a great choice. Zucchini, peppers, scallions and even squash are good options too.
- If you are having a frittata for breakfast or brunch, you really will not need to serve it with a side. But if you want to serve a fuller meal, you can plate up frittata with a fresh salad or a side of potatoes. It is such a versatile meal and it will go with nearly all sides.
If you have any, you can store leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container. The frittata will typically last for around 3 days. You are also able to freeze frittata and it will last in the freezer for around 3 months. To re-heat frozen frittata, you will have to thaw it in the fridge overnight and the next day bake it in a warm oven until it has been heated through completely. Try to avoid reheating leftover frittata in the microwave as it might lose too much moisture as it cooks, and you can be left with vegetables which have an overcooked texture.
Related Post: Food Storage Containers
A finished frittata is a plate of baked goodness. It is so straightforward to do, a perfect way for cleaning out your refrigerator and it is a cheap way to feed a big family. Frittata likewise stores well, so you can enjoy it the next day for a quick and simple breakfast. It is the perfect way to use up leftovers and it is delicious.