Are Glass Cutting Boards Safe
Conventionally, cutting boards for kitchen countertops were made out of wood. Then plastic boards came and so these went into kitchens across the country. Glass boards are a relatively recent idea, and they have gained much admiration in a fairly short time. There are a good amount of true benefits that glass cutting boards give you, which is making them a popular choice but there are a few concerns about them.
The Benefits of Glass Cutting Boards
A glass cutting board is so much more hygienic and so poses less threats than a wooden board. This is due to the fact that glass cutting boards are non-porous and so do not amass bacteria as easily. They are also much easier to clean due to their good surface run off, water simply washes the bugs away.
Glass is less likely to scratch when you are vigorously cleaning them with water, as they are usually treated to protect them. They are much easier to clean correctly over plastic or wooden chopping boards.
If you prioritise efficiency then glass cutting boards are lightweight and slimline in comparison to wooden boards, which also makes them so much easier to store. And obviously they look very beautiful in your kitchen, as you can buy them with all kinds of designs and colors integrated into the transparent glass. This will also give you something pleasant to look at as you use it.
Are Glass Cutting Boards Safe
So, with all the benefits of a glass chopping board how could anybody have any kind of issue with them. There are a few reasons why you may argue against the true safety of these chopping boards.
- Lots of foods will have the tendency to slip about on a cool smooth glass surface. This of course leaves lots of potential ways for fairly serious accidents to happen. Even if you are an experience cook and used to cutting at a speedy pace, your food can slip at any time and you can lose your grip and you cut your finger instead. The slick surface of a glass chopping board is not an idyllic one when you intend to cut up your fruit and veg with a sharp knife.
- They dull your knives making them more dangerous. It will take just a few minutes of cutting on your glass chopping board before you begin to notice that your once sharp knife is strikingly dull. If you have not noticed that you have this problem, then it probably means that you were already working with knives that are already dull. Neither a wooden or plastic cutting board will give you a dull blade like a glass board does.
- A glass board will not offer any “give” when you apply any type of pressure as you cut like a wooden or plastic board will. This may mean that you try harder to cut up your food and this can lead to accidents occurring. The extra force you need leads you to become more uncontrolled and forceful with the weight you put on to whatever it is that you are cutting up. This will also blunt all of your knives which can essentially be hazardous in your kitchen.
- Glass cutting boards hardly ever come with protected feet on their base meaning that your glass board lies straight on top of your expensive countertop. What this means is that your glass board is likely to slip around as you get on with your chopping. Obviously if your cutting board is moving about then this is definitely not wanted, as it can lead you to get injuries from your knife, and your chopping board may even fall off your countertop.
- Also, as it has been said, the wet glass surface of these types of boards can be a danger. You really should not be to forceful with a knife on a wet glass board. You may slip on a wet surface and cut yourself and if using a blunt knife, the injury can still be as significant as when this happens with a much sharper knife. A blunt knife will be inconspicuously sharp so do need to consider if you can safely to use a glass chopping board.
A glass cutting board is very definitely an expedient and easy chopping board to care for and store, but they do have some downsides, and these can possibly be dangerous ones. Glass is simple to keep clean and disinfect, but it will be slippery as it gets wet, leaving you susceptible to harm. However, they are a beautiful addition to your kitchen whatever choice you make.