How to Make Waffles: Classic Belgian Recipe
Waffle is a classic European dish that is perfect for a breakfast, brunch or even as a snack item for the people with sweet tooth. With a fluffy interior and a crispy texture, this delicious food item is as versatile as it can get. From sweet and sour toppings like berries, whipped cream, maple syrup, cream cheese, etc., waffles are often topped with savory items like bacon, chicken, pork, veggies- the options are endless!
Related Post: Best Whipped Cream Dispensers
While you can always try a unique version of this dish in your favorite restaurants, nothing can beat the classic waffle recipe with a handful of simple ingredients. In case you are feeling like digging into this tasty dish right now, check out the detailed recipe we have prepared for making the best homemade waffles.
Classic Belgian Waffles
Although similar to the regular waffles, Belgian waffles have a few distinct characteristics that make them more appealing to the waffle lovers. The main difference occurs in terms of the texture; they are light and airy with a lot deeper pockets than the regular ones. This is because traditionally the recipe included yeast instead of the baking powder that we use today. The cooking process is also different and requires more attention to the details.
In order to make the most perfect waffles from scratch, you may have to go through a few extra steps, but trust us when we say this, the outcome is totally worth the extra work.
How to Make Waffles at Home?
Making waffles at home is a lot easier than you think. You only need a few ingredients which are probably already lying in your pantry. You can also go for a ready-mix or use your leftover pancake batter. However, the best texture is formed when you make the waffles from fresh ingredients.
Homemade Waffle Toppings
Waffle has an amazing flavor that can go with almost any topping. Once you have mastered the recipe, you can easily let your creativity flow and impress everyone with your own take on the classic version. If you want to stick to the basics, here are some of the most common waffle toppings:
- Berries and whipped cream: Slice up some fresh berries and add on a generous amount of whipped cream. The plates will be empty before you even realize.
- Butter and maple syrup: This is a classic waffle topping that is loved by everyone. The combination is simple yet homely, and is especially suitable for a cold morning.
- Peanut butter and Banana: With this topping, you can easily win hearts of the younger family members. You can also add some bacon strips for extra crunchiness.
- Ice-cream and chocolate syrup: A summer brunch requires a sundae waffle. Top up the hot waffles with a scoop of ice-cream and chocolate syrup. You can also use Nutella or caramel syrup for a chocolaty flavor.
Related Post: Best Ice Cream Scoops
The Best Belgian Waffles Recipe
Time: 35 minutes| Servings: 8
This is an easy waffle recipe that consists of a few simple ingredients and a very basic cooking skill. These authentic Belgian waffles are light and fluffy with a golden crispy exterior. You can serve the dish for the whole family or store some for later cravings.
Related Post: Best Hand Mixers
- 2 1/4 Cups all-purpose Flour
- 2 Large Eggs
- 2 Cups Milk
- 1 tbsp. Baking Powder
- 1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 3 tbsp. Sugar
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- Preheat the waffle iron.
- Set some non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Separate the egg whites and the egg yolks.
- Take a large mixing bowl. Put flour, baking powder, cinnamon powder, sugar and salt. Stir a few times to mix all the dry ingredients together.
- Beat the egg whites with a hand mixer. Continue the process until stiff peaks are formed.
- Take a separate mixing bowl and pour the egg yolks, milk, vanilla extract and vegetable oil. Mix the ingredients.
- Pour the egg yolk mixture into the flour mixture. Combine all the ingredients to form a smooth consistency.
- Fold the egg white mixture into the batter in 3-4 batches.
- Scoop up some of the batter with a ladle and pour onto the waffle maker.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for the exact cooking time (15-20 minutes).
- Serve hot with your favorite toppings.
- Use powdered sugar to minimize whipping time.
- Substitute vegetable oil for melted butter for a distinct flavor.
- You can use self-rising flour in order to skip baking powder and salt.
- Use gluten-free flour and a plant-based milk for a healthier version of the Belgian waffle recipe.
- Layer the waffles evenly on a cooking rack instead of forming stacks. This will keep the waffles warm for a longer period of time.
- Store them in the refrigerator after they have cooled down completely.
- Re-heat them in the oven at 250 degrees for 10 minutes. Try to avoid microwaving the waffles if you prefer crispy exterior.
Waffle is a popular cuisine that is perfect for any meal of the day as the recipe can be altered according to everyone’s preference. In case you have not tried making it already, give our homemade waffle recipe a try. We are quite confident that you will fall in love with the delicious, melting flavor in your mouth with each bite!
- True Belgian Waffles – Taste of Home