How to Make Pumpkin Spice Latte at Home
Do you love to get creative with your drinks in the kitchen? If you are not afraid to experiment with ingredients, then there are countless interesting ways to satisfy your thirst. Many people are happy to mix food items like fruits, vegetables, herbs and spices to liquids like water, milk, and alcohol,in order to produce various tasty beverages. Beverages have been around for over 8,000 years, and it does not seem to be fading out any time soon. Lattes, (a short form of café latte – meaning milk coffee) have been around since the 20th Century and indeed it is a very versatile beverage. It is famous around the world, and every location has a name for it in their local language. It is mostly drunk as part of breakfast but can easily be enjoyed at any time of the day. But have you ever considered adding pumpkin spice to your homemade latte? Well if you haven’t, you are definitely missing out. This article will show you exactly how to make pumpkin spice latte at home. Let’s begin.
How It All Began
It was in 2013 that Starbucks began the development of this now-famous drink amidst a few challenges. Before its inception, people used to enjoy coffee drinks with pumpkin pie, and that is what inspired the ‘invention’ of the drink. Between 2002 and 2004, the Peppermint Mocha was well-loved by many Starbucks customers and so they wanted to reproduce something equally successful to it. The aim was to create a drink that would be perfect for autumn but still relevant during other seasons. Their product manager Peter Dukes was charged with the task, and he and a team got to work on the 7th floor of the Starbucks headquarters. The group introduced the idea of the Pumpkin Spice Latte and 19 other flavors to consumers, but the feedback was not so great. However, when it was time to choose four out of the lot for senior management’s final decision, the Pumpkin Spice Latte was included in the final four. This flavor stood out among an orange-and-spice latte, a chocolate-caramel drink, and a cinnamon streusel latte, which later became the Cinnamon Dolce Latte. They played around with the ingredients, varying their portions until it was just right. After brainstorming some more, they came up with the Pumpkin Spice Latte as its name, based on the ingredients. The drink made an appearance in a few shops initially, but after positive feedback and massive patronage from customers, it is now being sold across their many branches worldwide. Starbucks’ version of the recipe was the first successful one, and other coffee houses have attempted to ride the wave since its launch.
What is in a Pumpkin Spice Latte?
The first pumpkin latte did not contain any pumpkin, but after a lot of backlash and questions as to why, pumpkin puree was included. The pumpkin puree is made with sweeter winter squashes that are hard-skinned, and the beverage contains very minimal quantities. Pumpkins and squashes are from one family of plants, and so the nutritional facts stay the same. The other components of the drink that make the spice include condensed milk, sugar, and annatto, a pigment that gives the drink its pumpkin color. The other spices include ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, and allspice, which provide the essential oils responsible for the spicy flavor of the beverage.
How to Make a Pumpkin Spice Latte
Even though the Pumpkin Spice Latte recipe may vary, depending on personal preference and dietary requirements, it is pretty simple to prepare. Below are two recipes; a simple one and a gourmet method that you will enjoy as much as a coffee shop cup.
Simple Pumpkin Spice Latte
- Prepare a mixture of milk, granulated sugar, and pumpkin puree into a 2-liter pan and whisk until everything is thoroughly mixed. A plain pumpkin puree is recommended since the pumpkin pie blend may not yield desirable results in a latte.
- Place the saucepan containing the mixture over a stove set to medium heat and stir regularly, making sure it does not boil.
- Put in a flavored extract, for example, vanilla, pumpkin pie spice, and coffee. Be sure to make the coffee strong enough so that the beverage is not too milky. You can use freshly brewed coffee, instant coffee or a few shots of espresso instead based on your taste preference. Stir the mixture one last time to allow the ingredients to melt into each other.
- Now serve your drink with whipped cream and a few sprinkles of either nutmeg, cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice.
Related Post: Whipped Cream Dispensers
Gourmet Pumpkin Spice Latte
- Heat a mixture of pumpkin puree in a saucepan for two minutes under medium heat and stir continuously. Again, make sure the puree is plain, and you can add freshly ground black pepper for extra flavor.
- Add sugar based on your preferred sweetness level, and keep stirring until it becomes like a syrup.
- Pour in some milk and extract of your choice, while still stirring, making sure it doesn’t boil or scald.
- With the help of a handheld blender, stir the mixture thoroughly to obtain an even consistency and stop when it becomes foamy.
- Pour your espresso or coffee into a mug first and then follow it up with the mixture.
The story behind the Pumpkin spice latte is indeed an interesting one, but one cannot deny that the beverage is delicious. Homemade pumpkin spice latte is easy to prepare, with a simple appliance like a microwave and even a slow cooker. The ingredients are also easy to come by, and you’ll be whipping up premium tasting lattes with no stress involved. Its versatility also allows you to get creative with it, using any flavors you love.
Related Post: Microwave Ovens