How to Make Delicious Mexican Horchata
When people talk about Mexican drinks, they always think of tequila. However, this is not the only beverage that a true Mexican drinker loves. There is horchata, too. This is a type of beverage made from ground rice. Some also grind seeds or nuts. People flavor it with cinnamon to give it a distinct hint of sweetness. Some will also add sugar to make it more flavorful. You can also make this cold drink in your home. Here is how you can make a delicious Mexican horchata.
Making horchata is very easy. It does not involve ingredients that are very difficult to source. An easy horchata recipe only includes rice, sugar, milk, cinnamon stick, and water as its base ingredients. The rice gives the drink its thick, starchy consistency. Cinnamon and milk provide a more natural sweetness to the drink.
Sweet-toothed individuals can add more sugar. Those who are wary about having too much sugar in their drink can add more water or reduce the amount of sugar. A very common nut that people put in horchatas is almond. If one uses almonds, it would be best to use almond milk, too. Others will also add vanilla extract to round out the sweetness of the drink.
Every Mexican drinkere worth his horchata always has a number of tools to help in the making of this drink. It does not matter what variety of horchata you are going to make. You will need at least two basic kitchen tools – a blender and a fine mesh strainer or sieve. Of course, you will also need a bowl in which to mix the different ingredients and several tall drinking glasses to serve them in.
A good blender is a must. While you will soak the rice to soften it up, it will still be up to your blender to break down all the ingredients. As such, only a high-quality blender will do. It is also important to use a fine mesh strainer. What you want is a drink that does not feel grainy. A Spanish horchata de chufa will not be a nice drink if you will have bits of nuts and other ingredients on your tongue and lips.
Classic Mexican Horchata
There are many varieties of horchata. There is the horchata de arroz, horchata, de melon, and horchata de ajonjoli, among others. When you roam the streets of Mexico, however, you will always be treated to the classic recipe that includes white rice, cinnamon, milk, and sugar. This easy horchata recipe will give you the same experience. We do recommend using almond milk to complement the chopped almonds that go in the recipe. However, you can use almost any other milk if you want.
- 1 cup of white rice
- 1 and ½ cups of almond milk
- 1 and 1/3 cups of white sugar
- 1 quart of water
- ½ cup of almonds, chopped
- 1 can of evaporated milk, about 12 ounces
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla
- Put the rice, chopped almonds, and cinnamon stick in a bowl. Fill with water and let it soak overnight. This will help soften the rice.
- The following way, drain the water and put the softened rice, almonds, and cinnamon in a blender. Add the evaporated milk and blend. Keep blending until you get a smooth consistency. Make sure to grind the rice completely.
- Get a pitcher and put a sieve or a fine meshed strainer over the opening. Pour the mixture through the strainer or sieve.
- Add the almond milk, vanilla, and sugar. Mix well.
- Adjust the taste by adding more sugar if you want it sweet. If it is too sweet, then you can add water.
- Pour into individual glasses with ice. Serve and enjoy.
Spanish Horchata de Chufa
Horchata de chufa is a variety that is very popular in Spain. You may not be able to enjoy it in Mexico because it contains one very specific ingredient: Tiger nuts. These are not members of the nut family. Instead, Tiger nuts are a type of root vegetable that’s rich in magnesium, potassium, and fiber. Spaniards love to make them into horchata. However, one can also eat Tiger nuts as a snack. In this recipe, Tiger nuts replace white rice. What is interesting in this horchata de chufa recipe is that it only uses 5 ingredients. The only issue is that it takes quite a long time to prepare. For starters, one has to soften the Tiger nuts for at least 24 hours. There’s a waiting time of at least 4 hours, too, before you can serve the drink. When the waiting is over, you will get the chance to enjoy one of the best horchatas you will ever drink in your life.
- 4 and ½ cups of cold water
- 2 cups of Tiger nuts
- 2 tablespoons of white sugar
- ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon powder
- Lemon zest
- Put the Tiger nuts in a bowl. Fill the bowl with water. The Tiger nuts should be submerged with about an inch of water above them. Let the nuts soak for 24 hours to help soften the Tiger nuts.
- Drain the water and rinse the Tiger nuts in cold water. Pour half of the tiger nuts into a blender and add 2 and ¼ cups of cold water. Blend well. Once blended, add the remaining Tiger nuts and the other 2 and ¼ cups of cold water.
- Add lemon zest and the cinnamon powder. Blend well.
- Pour the mixture through a sieve or a strainer and into a bowl. Use a wooden spoon to push the mixture through the sieve.
- Transfer the mixture into a pitcher. Add white sugar and mix. Let the beverage cool in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours. This will help in the development of the flavors.
- Take the Spanish horchata from the refrigerator. Mix well before pouring into individual tall glasses.
- Serve and enjoy.
Making horchata is easy. You only need a few ingredients and a few kitchen tools. You can already enjoy a refreshing summer drink with your family and friends.
- Authentic Mexican Horchata That You Can Make At Home – My Latina Table
- Authentic Horchata Recipe – Allrecipes