How to Make the Perfect Homemade Milkshake
Amazingly, creating a fantastic milkshake is a fairly simple process. But to make the perfect homemade milkshake time and time again, you will need to get the balance of ingredients right. Whatever you want to include in your shake, and you can have any flavor you like, as long as you know how to make the perfect homemade milkshake from scratch then you cannot go wrong. As soon as you have the simple base of a milkshake sorted, you can then play with your ingredients to create the tastes that you desire. Having a couple of simple tricks to help you make the perfect homemade milkshake will help to take you far.
Related Post: Best Milkshake Makers
The perfect milkshake needs to include a good quality ice cream. A couple of ice cream scoops is what every homemade milkshake needs to make it creamy and flavoursome. Vanilla ice cream is usually the best pick as you can then add extra flavor layers of your choice afterwards. Although with a homemade milkshake anything goes, and you can potentially scoop in whatever type ice cream flavor you like as the choices are endless. Choose between chocolate or strawberry, toffee or mint-chip, use any flavor combinations that you like as your options really are wide open. But if you are new to making homemade milkshakes then it is best to stick with vanilla as a base as you can then add all sorts of other flavors into the mix. It is also important to remember that your ice cream needs to be cold so you will need to work fairly quickly to make the perfect homemade milkshake.
Related Post: Best Ice Cream Makers
A common mistake that is made when making homemade milkshakes is that it is just too easy to use too much milk and spoil the shake. All you require is a good few ounces of cold fresh milk to make sure your homemade milkshake has the correct balance of ingredients. Too much milk will make your homemade shake far to too wet and runny when the actual consistency you are looking for should be thick and creamy. Although if you do not use enough milk it may be too thick which will make it almost impossible to drink. That being said, this might be your preference but what you must not do is add extra ice to your homemade milkshake. You do not want to be diluting the milk and ice cream as this is the best combination to give you a delicious and creamy shake.
Extra Milkshake Ingredients
Thinking about what you will add to your milkshake to give it its overall flavor is a serious business. Syrups are one way to go to add a kick of flavor that will turn your homemade milkshake into a much sought after a signature drink. There are so many choices in terms of flavorings and they all need to be intense to fully cut through the cold thick mix of milk and ice cream. Whether you are a chocolate or a strawberry person, a good quality syrup will noticeably transform a plain vanilla shake into something much more interesting. You are able to purchase a variety of fruit syrups such as raspberry, black cherry and more, so your only limitation is your imagination.
The rule is not to overdo the milk but the same also goes for adding any extra amount of liquid because this will lead to your milkshake becoming thin. So, for example, choose more condensed ingredients like swapping orange juice for orange zest so your shake does not become too watery. This is also a consideration when you are blitzing in fruit which has a high-water content. Fruits like strawberries can add lots of flavor to your milkshake but they also add to the fluid content of your shake.
Once you have your milk, ice cream and overall flavors sorted out, it is time to make your home-made milkshake look good enough to eat. There is so much more choice than whipped cream and sprinkles and this really is your chance to express yourself. You can melt some chocolate or use a chocolate syrup, or try adding a calved strawberry, or crumble sweet cookies on top of your shake. Another significant topping ingredient to use for a fun taste is hot-fudge swirl which can be dibbled down the sides of your milkshake glass for big impact.
Related Post: Whipped Cream Dispensers
A true masterpiece in homemade milkshakes now commonly involves the use of candies to decorate the shake and create something that looks good enough to drink. The key factor in making a traditional milkshake look stunning is the inclusion of pretty candies which make the milkshake a really attractive option when you let go and get inventive. Nuts, grated chocolate and caramel also can be used to make a great topping for a homemade milkshake.
Related Post: Best Box Graters
DIY Milkshake Recipe
It is effortless to create a creamy milkshake and it will just take an instant for you to make it. Once you have fully mastered a basic milkshake recipe, this then allows you to get so much more creative to make your own signature milkshake. Exchange the traditional strawberries for say blueberries or try adding cocoa powder for an interesting chocolate taste. Never be scared to play around when making your own perfect homemade milkshake and use up what you already have sitting in your store cupboard.
Preparation time: 5 mins
Servings: 1 portion
Ingredients for basic homemade milkshake recipe: –
2 large scoops of vanilla ice cream
1/3-pint full fat milk
Additional flavor ingredients based on choice
Using a blender, pop in the milk and ice cream and blend for a few minutes as you are waiting for them to mix fully. In order to achieve the best result, you need to pour the milk into the blended first so that the blender begins mixing smoothly and rapidly. The important thing to do is to ensure that you allow the ice cream to go slightly soft prior too scooping it in as when it is still hard you will thin the shake out. This is because it will be difficult to get the right quantity of ice cream that you need.
Flavor ideas to add to your basic homemade milkshake
- To make a homemade strawberry milkshake add in 1 cup of fresh strawberries which you will puree with the ice cream after the milk has been added to the blender.
- Try a smores homemade milkshake. Mix 1/4 cup of marshmallows, with a 1/4 cup of graham cracker cookies and add to your basic milkshake a couple of minutes before you have finished bending it. Try adding a store-bought chocolate sauce to drizzle over the top.
- Make a coffee inspired milkshake by adding 2 tablespoons of instant coffee granules to your basic mix with a pinch of salt to control the bitterness.
- Cookies and cream milkshakes are also easy to make. Crush up Oreo cookies to give lots of texture to your vanilla shake. Simply blend in several cookies with your basic vanilla mix and ensure that you use a half milk, half cream mixture.
- Make a homemade banana milkshake by chopping up and blending 2 small bananas, which could now be simpler.
Related Post: Best Coffee Grinders
How to Make a Milkshake Without a Blender
This is so much easier than you may imagine, and it cuts down on your cleaning up time. Just pop your vanilla ice cream into a bowl with your milk and use a spatula to mix them together until they are fully combined. This may take a little more manual effort, but it will be worth it in the end if you find yourself without the help of a blender.
Tips on how to make a milkshake at home
- If you want to achieve a really thick shake you can combine whole milk with cream before you put it into the blender. Make sure you are not using heavy cream however as if you place this in your blender, it may end up giving your shake the consistency of butter.
- Alternatively, it is easy to make a low-fat homemade milkshake. All you need to do is substitute yogurt for the vanilla ice cream and you have a slimline option.
- Never add extra sugar to a homemade milkshake as the vanilla ice cream base should be sweet enough.
- Experiment with the other ingredients that you have around to use up foods that may otherwise go to waste, and that will give you a different taste experience, so go ahead and blend until frothy.
- Pour your milkshake into glasses as soon as possible and drink instantly for the best flavor.
- Create an old-fashioned soda by adding it to your milkshake. Ensure that you do this after you have finished blending or else you will just end up with one big mess.
Homemade milkshakes are an American classic which will still be enjoyed by generations to come. They are pleasingly cool, sweet and you can create them to taste of any flavor that you can dream of.
Related Post: Best Yogurt Makers
- Milkshake recipes – BBC Good Food