Perfect Monte Cristo Sandwich Recipe
Filling your mouth with a soft and delicious, mouth-watering sandwich is done very regularly by most people but sometimes, making these sandwiches could be the tricky aspect. There are so many different types of sandwiches to try and the Monte Cristo sandwich should definitely be on your list.
Originating from France, this sandwich has earned a name as a type of the ‘croque-monsieur’ or what others call the French Sandwich. It is basically a classic French toasted ham and cheese sandwich.
It differs from other varieties because of its coating which is quite similar to the French toast. So if you are looking for the perfect Monte Cristo sandwich recipe, then your search ends here. If you’ve had issues in the past – well worry no more as this article will show you exactly how to make a sumptuous Monte Cristo sandwich.
- Six slices of bread
- Mayonnaise and or mustard
- Cooked ham
- Turkey or chicken
- Six slices of Swiss cheese/ Mozzarella/ Gruyere cheese
- Three eggs
- Finely ground black pepper (optional)
- Vegetable oil for frying (optional)
Making the Sandwich
- Lay your slices of bread on a board and spread butter on one side for three of them and set them aside.
- Now, spread some mayonnaise or mustard on the other three slices and set them apart.
- With one slice of bread, cover it with a slice of ham and a slice of chicken or turkey.
- Cover the chicken with a slice of bread with mayonnaise side down.
- Spread two slices of cheese on it and cover with another piece. Make sure it has butter spread and turn it upside down to firmly secure the cheese.
- Trim the edges of your bread and cut it to the size you prefer ( you can do that diagonally).
- Now, after you have sealed your sandwich secure it with a toothpick, or gently give it a press to make sure it is sturdy.
- Repeat with the other slices of bread.
Making Your Battermaking the Sandwich
- Whisk the three eggs in a bowl together with some salt and milk. Add your black pepper if you want to have some spice in it.
- Dip your sandwich into the batter and soak for some few seconds. Ensure that it is not too wet, it will only ruin the desired texture, you may want.
- Place your skillet on medium heat and pour in some oil for frying. It is optional if you want to use unsalted butter.
- Fry your battered sandwich in the skillet until golden brown and voila! You’ve got your Monte Cristo sandwich.
Alternatively, if you want to skip using three slices of bread, you can use just two. Spread one side with mayonnaise and add your ham, turkey, and cheese. With the other slice, spread with some mayonnaise or butter and cover.
Dip in your batter and fry. You also have your Monte Cristo Sandwich.
Serve your sandwich hot with some jam over a cup of coffee. You can also dust it with some sugar and serve.
The Monte Cristo sandwich is definitely fun to make and delicious to eat. It’ll make the perfect dish if you have some leftover ham and don’t know what to do with it.
So if you’re planning a weekend brunch with some friends, why not try impressing them with this cheese dripping, crispy, tasty sandwich that is set to get your taste buds flowing. Tuck in and enjoy!