Passion Fruit: Benefits and Nutrition
Passion fruit is a delicious tropical fruit that also contains a generous number of health benefits. A typical passion fruit taste is a mixture of sweet and sour which follows a crunchy texture due to its seeds. Named after its flower, passion fruit is widely grown in sub-tropical climates. This is why it is cultivated almost all over the world and is consumed by a massive number of people.
Passion fruits are generally purple and yellow in color, with hard and round shells surrounding the edible portion. It has a colorful and juicy mid-portion that is filled with passion fruit seeds and pulps which can be eaten as snack or simply for its exceptional health benefits.
Passion Fruit Nutritional Factors
Passion fruit is full of essential nutrients that cover most of the healthy elements needed on a daily basis. It is especially known for having high levels of Vitamin A and Vitamin C, both of which are beneficial for the skin, eyesight and immune system.
Another amazing factor of passion fruit nutrient profile is that it contains various plant compounds such as polyphenols, carotenoids and a little bit of iron. Although iron from plants is a bit harsh on the human body in case of absorption, passion fruit comes with a large amount of Vitamin C which makes it easier and faster to absorb. Moreover, it contains a bit of niacin, phosphorus and Vitamin B-6, all of which add to the healthy elements that this fruit offers.
- Calories: 17
- Vitamin A: 229 IU
- Vitamin C: 5.4mg
- Potassium: 63mg
- Magnesium: 5mg
- Calcium: 2gm
- Iron: 0.29mg
- Fiber: 2gm
While the nutrients may not seem that much impressive at first, considering that these come from a single passion fruit, you may actually gain a lot more health benefits from this wonderful creation of nature.
Health Benefits of Passion Fruit
Passion fruit is not only delicious in flavor but also has a myriad of health benefits. This is why it is gradually gaining popularity among the foodies, especially to those who are conscious about their health. In case you are not familiar with some of the most known passion fruit benefits, continue reading as we venture further into its amazing properties.
- Packed with Nutrients: As we have already mentioned, passion fruit offers a bounty of healthy nutrients that are necessary for maintaining a healthy body.
- High Level of Antioxidants: Antioxidants are much needed compounds that reduce free radicals found in the body. It also maintains a healthy immune system and improves blood flow. Stress reduction and inflammation reduction is another specialty of antioxidants which ensure that the heart and the brain remain free of many diseases.
Passion fruit is rich in antioxidants like Vitamin C, polyphenols (piceatannol), Beta carotene, etc. Together they help improving immune system, vision, insulin sensitivity and also reduce the risks of different types of cancer, diabetes, obesity, etc.
- Contains Dietary Fiber: Fiber prevents many diseases related to heart, weight gain, constipation, etc. As passion fruit offers a good amount of fiber compared to its size, consuming it may help one to gain a better health condition in many aspects.
- Reduces Stress and Anxiety: Passion fruit contains magnesium which is a great component for managing anxiety levels.
How to Eat Passion Fruit
Passion fruit is such a versatile food item that there are numerous ways to consume it. If you have been wondering about how to eat passion fruit, well, the simplest way is to eat it raw. In order to prepare the fruit for eating, you can cut it in half and retrieve the pulp with a spoon. As the pulp has seeds in it, you can either separate the pulp from the seed or eat it whole. The rind is the only part that is inedible as raw. However, many people take it as a supplement to reduce inflammation or simply feed it to the cattle.
If you want to eat the pulp alone, you can use a cheesecloth or a strainer to prepare it for eating in various ways. Here are some of the methods that you may find most effective (and delicious):
- Drink as a Juice: Take a few spoonful of pulps, add water and sugar. Stir a few times and enjoy a glass of refreshing passion fruit juice.
- Whip up a Delicious Smoothie: Add frozen pulp, water and sweetener in the food processor. Blend into a smooth consistency. Drink as a breakfast or an evening snack.
- Make a Jam/Jelly: Use the passion fruit pulp to make a jam or jelly to use as a spread on breads. Instead of preserving it like a regular jam/ jelly, store it in the freezer for enjoying it all year long.
- Prepare a Healthy Salad Bowl: Throw in some pulps (with seeds) along with some of your favorite fruit cubes. Add a few spoonful of yogurt. Mix everything together and have a light meal packed with flavor.
- Create a Fruit Cocktail: Due to its unique flavor, passion fruit can be a great addition in fruit cocktails. In fact, it goes excellent with oranges or pineapples. You can also add a few other fruits and create your own fusion of passion fruit cocktail.
- Use as Salad Dressings: The passion fruit tastes sweet and has a crunchy texture that is perfect for adding something extra to a rather plain salad.
- Boil into a Syrup: Syrup or sauces are some of the most delicious items used for elevating a simple snack or dessert. You can make a passion fruit syrup/ sauce by boiling the pulp according to your preferred consistency. Once done, store it in the freezer and use in different dessert recipes.
Packed with deliciousness and necessary nutrients, passion fruit is one of the best food items to add to your daily meals. Rich in Vitamins, antioxidants and fiber, this is a versatile fruit that can be eaten in many ways. If you are looking for a tasty alternative to high-calorie and unhealthy snack items, you can give passion fruit a try and enjoy a balanced diet.