Best Philly Cheesesteak Recipe
Americans love sandwiches. And when it comes to this hearty snack, very few creations can come close to the Philadelphia cheesesteak sandwich. With melted cheese blanketing a load of crispy shaved beef and sautéed onions and peppers, the Philly cheesesteak can make for a great meal in itself. Unfortunately, different chefs have their different opinions as to how a great Philly should be made. Let us look at the basics first.
Restaurants on the high end always go for ribeye because of its unique marbling. This gives the meat its sizzle. The rendered fat gives the beef its caramelized, crispy edges and a melt-in-your-mouth kind of tenderness. The issue is that ribeye can be very expensive. An alternative will be sirloin. A cheaper alternative is flank steak. You can also try strip loin.
To make a Philly cheesesteak sandwich, you will need very thin slices of the ribeye or sirloin. Restaurants do not have issues with this because they already have meat slicers. Ordinary home cooks, on the other hand, have to improvise. One option is to ask your butcher to slice the meat very thin for you. An alternative is to put the meat in the freezer about two hours before you start making the sandwich. This will help firm up the meat without freezing it. You should be able to make thin slices with a firmer beef.
Native Philadelphians have their own opinions as to the type of cheese that should go into Philly cheesesteak sliders and sandwiches. Some recommend provolone cheese, while others go for American cheese. More practical Philadelphians opt for Cheez Whiz instead for a more unique flavor. Most restaurants, however, combine American cheese and provolone cheese. This gives the sandwich a better flavor profile, not to mention exceptional cheese meltability.
Watch the Calories
Philly cheesesteaks are not for those who are on a strict calorie-restricted diet. Philly cheesesteak calories can amount to 860 calories for an 8-inch sandwich. This sandwich alone contains 46 grams of fat, 112 mg of which is cholesterol. It does contain 49 grams of protein. A 12-inch Philly sandwich can have as much as 1070 calories.
The good thing about making Philly cheesesteaks by yourself is that you can choose healthier ingredients. For example, if you’re on a keto diet, then you may want to skip the roll. You can also look for beef with more lean meat. You can also replace the cheese with healthier alternatives.
Making the Best Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich
- 12 ounces of your choice beef, sliced thin
- 2 pieces of Portobello mushrooms (5-inch caps)
- 1 and ½ cups of green bell pepper, sliced thin
- 1 cup of onion, sliced thin
- ½ cup of low-fat milk
- 1 ounce of provolone cheese
- 2 tablespoons of Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
- 2 teaspoons of all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons of olive oil
- 2 teaspoons of garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon of low sodium soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon of dry mustard
- ¼ teaspoon of black pepper, freshly ground
- ¼ teaspoon of Kosher salt
- 4 pieces of 3-oz hoagie rolls
- Put the beef slices in a bowl and sprinkle with pepper and salt.
- Clean the undersides of the Portobello mushroom caps. Remove and discard the ‘gills’. Cut the Portobello caps into thin slices.
- Turn on the stove to medium-high heat. Heat a nonstick skillet and coat the skillet with a teaspoon of olive oil. Sauté the beef slices until they are no longer pink. Set the beef aside.
- Pour another teaspoon of olive oil in the same pan. Sauté the onion slices for 3 minutes. Add the garlic, bell pepper, and mushrooms, and continue sautéing for 6 minutes.
- Return the sautéed beef into the pan and continue sautéing for another minute. Make sure that the veggies are tender and that the beef is heated through.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Mix well and keep the mixture warm.
- Get a small saucepan and pour the flour. Add the milk slowly and stir it well using a wire whisk. Let it simmer for about a minute until the ‘sauce’ thickens. Remove the sauce from the heat. Add the mustard and Parmesan and provolone cheeses. Continue stirring until the cheese mixture is smooth.
- Get the hoagie rolls and hollow out the halves. Leave about half an inch roll ‘shell’. Place the beef mixture in the bottom half of the roll. Drizzle the cheese sauce over the beef and put the top half of the roll.
You need to try this delicious Philly cheesesteak sandwich recipe at home. Before you know it, you’re making the sandwich more often.