Potato Gnocchi Recipe
Gnocchi are succulent and amazing dumplings originating from Italy but are eaten worldwide. They are created from a mix of potatoes and flour which you boil until your gnocchi turns into fluffy pillows of wonder. To turn a potato gnocchi recipe into a family favorite, your gnocchi will just need to also have a simple sauce which is easy to make.
Sweet Potato Gnocchi Recipe
The best gnocchi recipe is made with sweet potatoes as they offer up the best texture. As you will usually be eating your homemade gnocchi with a delicious sauce, it is fine to keep all of the other gnocchi ingredients relatively simple.
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 3 cups plain flour
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 sage leaves
- Butter for frying
- Peel and cut the potatoes in half and place them in a large pot of salted water. Boil for around 25 minutes or until soft.
- Drain potatoes over a sink once cooked and leave to cool. Once they have cooled enough to be able to be touched, mash the potatoes with salt and pepper in a bowl until smooth and creamy.
- Mix in the egg by slowly whisking.
- Turn out your potato dough onto a floured worksurface and kneed the flour into your potato mix. Work swiftly adding flour until the dough becomes more firm.
- Break up your dough into equal sized balls. Take one and roll it out into a long thin rope around an inch in circumference. As soon as it is rolled out you can cut your gnocchi up into little pieces. Repeat with all of the remaining balls of dough.
- You can use a fork to press a pattern onto each gnocchi square.
- Bring a pot of salted water on the stove to boil and pop in your gnocchi in a number of small batches. Ensure that you stir them gently a couple of times to ensure that they do not stick together.
- Boil your gnocchi until they all begin to start floating to the surface of the water and then remove them from the pot.
- To finish off your sweet potato gnocchi recipe in a pan, melt some butter and put in the sage. Place the gnocchi in the pan and toss lightly until they turn golden.
Gnocchi Sauce Recipe
If you want to add more options to the best sweet potato gnocchi recipe you can also add a homemade sauce. The choices are endless here but here a couple of timeless gnocchi sauce recipes to try.
Simple tomato gnocchi sauce
Tomatoes are a highly recommended pairing with gnocchi due to their fresh flavor and fragrant aroma. They will bring an extra dimension to your recipe that you will undeniably notice. Since you do not want to override the gnocchi, making a lighter flavor gnocchi sauce works best.
- 4 fresh tomatoes chopped
- 1 can chopped tomatoes (with liquid)
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 carrots
- 2 small onions
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat. Introduce the chopped onions and carrots and cook until onions are soft.
- Next add both the fresh and canned tomatoes and add crushed garlic to your pan. Allow to simmer for around 45 minutes, without a lid, or until your sauce begins to reduce.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly before putting it into a food processor. Pulse until smooth as you season to taste with your sugar and salt.
Perfect Pesto Gnocchi Sauce
Moving away from a tomato sauce, many people prefer a cheesier route with their gnocchi. Making pesto sauce involves pureeing the greens and nuts and then simply stirring in the cheese.
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup pine nuts
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 cup grated hard cheese (like Pecorino or Parmigiano)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Mix up all of the ingredients excluding the oil and cheese into your food processor and blend your pesto ingredients together until it becomes a somewhat coarse paste.
- Move the paste into a bowl and slowly begin to mix in the oil.
- Once mixed sprinkle the cheese through the mix as you stir.
- To serve with your gnocchi toss the freshly cooked gnocchi straight into the pesto. Or else, if you prefer a runnier sauce, thin it out with a few spoonful’s or hot gnocchi water and serve right away.
So, the perfect potato gnocchi recipe teamed with an easy to make gnocchi sauce recipe will give you a dream dish that you will be making for years to come.
- Gnocchi recipes – BBC