Homemade Spiced Pear Liqueur
If you have ever given any thought to making your own homemade spiced pear liqueur, you will not believe just how simple it is to make this warm and delicious liqueur. As the weather begins to turn chilly and autumn begins to set in, there is nothing better than enjoying the deep, tempting taste of a really good homemade spiced pear liqueur. The way you make it is really easy and it will have all the heartening flavors that bring a smile to your face.
Select Your Liquor
Vodka is often a good selection as you can see what you are creating as it transforms. Pear brandy also will give you a strong foundation for making your homemade liqueur, although you need to put some real thought into it since some store-bought brandy will already contain a sweetener which strictly already makes them a liqueur. Make sure that you pick up a non-sweetened pear brandy by reading the labelling very carefully. Homemade spiced pear liqueur can likewise be used with a grape-based brandy where you will already have fruity undertones. It can also be really fun to experiment with white rum to give an extra kick to the flavor of your drink.
Homemade Spiced Pear Liqueur Recipe
Once you have decided on your liquor, the first step in making your spiced liqueur is to make up a basic syrup. A basic syrup is just a combination of water and sugar heated up and left to simmer until the sugar is fully dissolved. This delightful homemade spiced pear liqueur recipe makes a great seasonal gift and is ready to place in jars the next day.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes. Needs to be left overnight to infuse.
- 6 oz vodka
- 2 ½ oz basic syrup (½ cup of raw cane sugar and ½ cup of water)
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 pear sliced and peeled
- 1 stick cinnamon
To make up your basic syrup mix together ½ cup of raw cane sugar and ½ cup of water in a saucepan. Stir the mix gently over low heat and wait for the sugar to dissolve completely before you set it aside to cool down.
To make the spiced pear liqueur put the pear slices, cinnamon, and cloves in a jar with 6 oz of vodka. Once the syrup has cooled, also add 3 oz of the basic syrup to the jar. Seal the jar up tightly and shake it to mix everything together for around a minute.
You will need to leave the jar alone to let the ingredients infuse together which needs to be done at room temperature and left for at least 24 hours.
After this you will need to strain your mixture into another jar and then keep the jar chilled. Your homemade spiced pear liqueur will keep well in your refrigerator for up to 3 months.
Mix Up Your Recipe
Once you have mastered this basic technique the exciting part about working from your own kitchen to make homemade liqueurs is that you are easily able to experiment and produce flavors that suit your taste. Do not hesitate to fine-tune any of the ingredients or add different ones altogether to advance your own perfect recipe. It would be very difficult for you to get it wrong, particularly if you make sure that you taste as you go.
- Change up your syrup. A basic syrup will always give you a tasty liqueur, but there are some equally delicious replacements. You can try switching from raw white sugar for an earthy flavor to a darker sugar. You could try using demerara sugars or anything you like for your spiced syrup. Any of these selections will add an agreeable and spicy richness to your drink.
- Use a variation of different pears. As pear season starts in autumn and through some of the winter months, this means that pear varieties are numerous. You do not need to stick with adding just one sort of pear to your homemade liqueur. Pears do not need much attention or to be to be sliced in any particular way and there is no need to even peel them, just wash them properly. As long as the pears fit into your jar, select a range of them.
- Fine-tune the spices so that they work for you. Cinnamon and cloves are just about indispensable in giving you a good spice blend, but you can add any spice you like to get the drink that you want. You can even add your spices to the basic syrup as you create it or use more than you generally might.
- Try making your homemade spiced pear liqueur with pears which are yet to fully ripen.
- Use newly purchased top quality cloves and cinnamon to keep everything fresh.
- Homemade liqueur will have a shorter shelf life so pay attention to how you store it in the refrigerator, where it can stay in an airtight jar for up to 3 months.
- You will want to keep it a clear, sterilized, large jar.
- The above recipe can be left to infuse for about a week maximum, because if you leave it any longer than this the infusion can become overpowering.
- You ought to always get your friends to try it out for a second and third opinion.
Love Your Liqueur
A homemade spiced pear liqueur can be used in a variation of cocktails, so it is useful to have around. It will offer up a seasonal spin on most drinks that require a splash of alcohol. Baked recipes that use pear liqueurs are a way to use up your liqueur in a fun way even if they do not mention spice.
Homemade liqueurs make a delightful Christmas gift too and your family and friends really will be thanking you for such a thoughtful gift. Just remember to make sure that you make enough homemade spiced pear liqueur so that you get to keep some of its tasty brilliance for yourself.
- HOMEMADE SPICED PEAR LIQUEUR – Imbibe Magazine