Sweet Italian Sausage Recipe
Homemade ground sweet Italian sausage is an easy thing to make at home and the brilliant news is that you can control all of the ingredients that go into making it. It is so rewarding to make foods that are usually store bought right in your own kitchen including making homemade sweet Italian sausage. The only thing you need is some food quality ground pork, lots of spice and some delicately flavoured herbs. Read on for useful tips on how to cook and make tasty Italian sausage recipes.
What is Sweet Italian Sausage?
‘Italian sausages’ are not really from Italy but they are fast becoming a homegrown American classic. They really are a tasty US sausage which are made of ground pork with a characteristic taste of fennel. You are able to get this sausage in two separate flavors which comes as either spicy or sweet sausage, so they suit a range of tastes. Depending on the chili flakes added you can make them as hot as you wish when making them from scratch at home. Unlike regular breakfast sausages, even sweet Italian sausages are more spicy than normal sausages. Sweet ‘Italian sausages’ are flexible and you can make them in various ways, and they are always deliciously amazing to eat. They are most commonly used as pizza topping to add extra spice or added into a delicious pasta sauce. Homemade sweet Italian sausage can be made without the need for skins easily in your kitchen at home.
Sweet Italian Sausage Recipe
This is a simple and straightforward sweet Italian sausage recipe that can be made in under 30 minutes. It is a base recipe which means that once you have got the hang of making it you will be able to start experimenting with adding different ingredients of your choice.
- 2 pounds ground pork shoulder
- 1 tsp ground fennel
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 tsp ground pepper
- 3 tsp dried parsley
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes to required taste for a spicier sausage
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 5 tsp balsamic vinegar
Instructions for Ground Sweet Italian Sausage Recipe
- Blend all the seasonings together into one bowl.
- Combine pork with the seasonings and ensure all of the herbs and spices are totally mixed into the ground pork.
- Customize seasonings if required.
- Make into portions that look like sausage meat and that look how you want it to appear after you have cooked it.
- Cook the Italian sausage, cover them and then refrigerate for up to a week in your refrigerator or split servings and freeze in a sealed bag.
How to Cook Italian Sausage
- Frying is perhaps the most common method of cooking sweet Italian sausage. It is fast and easy, and it makes a big breakfast treat when fried with all the traditional sides. Due to the fact that frying can make the sausages dry, homemade ground sweet Italian sausage recipes often include wine in the frying process to preserve their juices. You should also use a non-stick pan when cooking because it prevents anything from sticking to a pan. Add the sausages to the pan and brown by simmering for 10 minutes.
- Grilling is the other way to cook sweet Italian sausage. Even though it sounds pretty simple, there are some things that can go wrong and make the sausage too. The crucial thing to getting a good grilled sausage is to keep the temperature steady as you cook it through. Extremely high temperatures may dry the sausage out completely. When correctly grilled, a sweet Italian sausage has a crispy exterior and is juicy on the inside. You are able to grill sausages on both a gas grill or you can go outside for a fun and tasty barbecue.
- Baking is perhaps the easiest way to cook Italian sausages as it is virtually effortless. During baking, you do not need to continually turn the sausages over as they are not likely to get burned. Nevertheless, it is essential to ensure that the sausages are completely cooked all the way through. Baking is also an excellent option to make classic Italian sausage recipes with bell peppers in the oven. You just have to remember to prick the sausages with a fork to stop them from bursting and then pop them at the bottom of a greased baking dish. Cover over the sweet Italian sausages with a foil to protect them from burning and then bake for a good 45 minutes while waiting for the sausages to brown evenly.
Tips for Making Sweet Italian Sausages
The sausage once cooked must not be left on the countertop for any length of time. Sweet Italian sausages need to be stored in your refrigerator once they are prepared at home.
You need to eat your fresh sweet Italian sausages within a couple of days after you have prepared it. Remember it is easy toad leftovers the next day to sauces for pastas and pizzas to use up all of your homemade sweet Italian sausages.
These sausages, if you are not going to be cooking them right away, can go bad fairly quickly. To make life easy you are able to keep them frozen in a vacuum seal bag in your freezer for up to around 3 months.
Frozen sweet Italian sausages must never be defrosted on your countertop. Instead, they either need to be defrosted gradually in the refrigerator overnight or you can put them in the microwave to defrost them more quickly. However, you decide to do it ensure that you then cook your sausages immediately after you have defrosted them.
Cooking homemade Italian sausage is not as difficult as it might have seemed initially, and it is well worth giving it a try. With lots of practice and appropriate knowledge about the best cooking techniques, everybody can cook their own extravagant meal. When you next have a yearning for this Italian inspired treat, try out making your own homemade sweet Italian sausage recipe.
- Sweet Italian Sausage – Mom on a Mountain