How To Use A Pizza Stone Like a Pro
If you do not have a pizza oven, a pizza stone is the perfect alternative. After all, is there anything tastier than a stone baked pizza? The trouble is that a lot of people purchase pizza stones and they do not know how to use them correctly. Therefore, they don’t end up with the pizza they had hope for! Or, they end up damaging their pizza stone because they do not look after it properly. With that being said, read on to discover everything you need to know if you have a pizza stone.
Why Should You Purchase A Pizza Stone?
If you do not have a pizza stone in your kitchen already, you should definitely purchase one! Before we reveal how to use a pizza stone like a pro, let’s take a look at the different benefits associated with this cooking item…
- Tastier pizza
Of course, there is only one place to begin, and this is with the fact that you are going to get a delicious stone baked pizza at the end of it. Cooking a pizza in a normal oven simply isn’t the same. However, not everyone can afford a pizza oven, nor does everyone have room for one in their kitchen. A pizza stone is the next best thing.
- It will save you time
If you are looking for a meal that is tasty yet does not take a long time to cook, a pizza stone is ideal. You will get a quick bake, yet a perfect one. Plus, because the heat is balanced, it ensures that your pizza is just as tasty in the centre as it is around the crusts.
- They’re not just for pizzas
While you may primarily purchase a pizza stone to, of course, cook pizzas, they have other uses too. There are a whole host of different foods that you can cook using a pizza stone. A lot of people rave about using the stone to cook a whole chicken. Naturally, it is a good choice for any type of bread. If you want to bake a giant cookie, a pizza stone will come in handy as well. You will get a lot more use out of this item than you may have anticipated.
Should You Season A Pizza Stone?
Well, this all depends on the pizza stone you have purchased. However, it is important to note that a lot of the pizza stones on the market today come ready to cook with. If you season or oil one of these stones, you can end up ruining them, and they will develop a bad smell. They will often smoke too. Therefore, make sure you read the specifications that come with the product you have purchased. A lot of people are often shocked to discover that seasoning the equipment can have such a detrimental impact.
How To Use A Pizza Stone On The Grill Or In The Oven
Using a pizza stone is straightforward. However, you do need to follow the steps with care. So, let’s take a look at how to cook like a pro with a pizza stone…
- The first thing you need to do is preheat the stone. The stone needs to be heated until it reaches at least 550 degrees Fahrenheit. You should always be aiming to exceed the 500 degree-mark.
- Place the pizza, which should be room temperature, in the center of the stone.
- Cook for five minutes with the oven closed or the grill lid closed.
- Once the five minutes have passed, use a pizza peel to turn the pizza 180-degree, and then cook for another five to seven minutes. This ensures an even bake.
- Enjoy your pizza, leaving the stone in the oven or grill so that it cools down properly before it is cleaned.
Make sure you are careful when you remove the pizza from the pizza stone. After all, the stone is going to be very hot, and so you do need to proceed with care. Use a peel to remove the pizza and never handle the stone with your hands or just a kitchen towel. A lot of people have burnt themselves because they have been too eager to tuck into their delicious stone baked pizza. Who can blame them?
How Should You Clean Your Pizza Stone?
Not only do you need to make sure that you learn how to use your pizza stone like a pro, but you will also want to look after it so that it lasts for many years to come. Here are some steps that you should follow when cleaning your pizza stone…
- Use some hot water and a stone brush. You should not submerge the stone fully underwater. Soaking it is not a good idea.
- Instead, a small amount of water should be used to wet the surface of the stone. You can then use the brush to scrub the surface. Do not use any soap.
- Do not bake the stone in order to dry it. The pizza stone must air dry. If you put the stone in the oven, it can crack because of the absorbed water.
- If you have any burnt bits or areas that are really tough to clean, you will be able to find a heavy-duty pizza stone scrubber online. It is a good idea to purchase one of these so that you have it handy.
So there you have it: the complete guide to using a pizza stone like a pro. We hope that you have found this information helpful! Give it a try and you are bound to end up with a delicious stone bake pizza, which tastes just like it has been cooked in an Italian restaurant.