What is Rolled Ice Cream?
Some people think that there is nothing better than enjoying several scoops of ice cream, complete with their favorite toppings. It would be fair to assume that they are not familiar with rolled ice cream. This frozen delight is fast becoming the favorite of ice cream lovers all over the world. So, what is sweetened frozen dessert?
What is Rolled Ice Cream?
Rolled ice cream is still the same as your regular ice cream. The only difference is the manner in which people make the dessert as well as how the ice cream is ‘presented’. People are more accustomed to eating scooped ice cream. These have a spherical shape. Rolled ice cream, on the other hand, has a cylindrical shape and makers always serve them in a vertical position.
Thai street vendors created the very first rolled frozen dessert in 2009. That is why this is also known as Thai rolled ice cream. They mix milk, sugars, cream, and other ingredients on a special kind of pan. They stir the mixture to incorporate air bubbles, while allowing the mixture to cool to about minus-4 degrees Fahrenheit. The stirring of the mixture also gives the dessert its “stir-fried ice cream” name.
Customers started video recording the way Thai vendors make the dessert. They posted these videos on social media. The videos went viral and other countries began making their own versions of the sweetened rolled ice.
The sensational treat reached US shores in 2015. Major cities in the US now have stores that specialize in the making of ice cream rolls.
Secrets for Making Rolled Ice Cream
There are a few secrets to making Thai rolled ice cream. First, you must have plenty of space in your freezer. The space should allow you to place a rimmed metal baking pan parallel to the bottom surface of the freezer. It is important to make sure that you have this space before you start making your rolled frozen dessert.
It is also essential to keep the ice cream base to about an eighth of an inch thick. It should not be thicker than this as it can collapse when you try to roll it. If the ice cream base is thinner than 1/8 of an inch, it will be very difficult for you to curl it. Of course, everything will depend on the other ingredients that you add in your rolled ice cream.
The best tool to use for rolling the sheet of ice cream is a very thin and sharp-edged spatula. This will help you cut the frozen sheet into strips. It is also a lot easier to slide under the ice cream sheet to initiate the rolling.
Making a Rolled Ice Cream at Home
You don’t need fancy equipment to make rolled ice cream at home. All you need is a good spatula and metal baking pans. Do not use ceramic or glass pans as the ice cream will not freeze fast enough. Here is a recipe you should try.
- 2 cups of cold heavy cream
- 1 can of sweetened condensed milk, about 14 fluid ounces
- ½ teaspoon of kosher salt
- Choice of flavorings
- Whisk the sweetened condensed milk, heavy cream, and kosher salt. Make sure to combine the ingredients very well.
- Divide the mixture into two. Pour each mixture into rimmed metal baking pans or sheets. Add your choice of flavorings in each mixture and start stirring gently. This will help combine the different ingredients. You can add a quarter of a cup of strawberry preserves into each pan, plus half a teaspoon of vanilla extract. If you prefer cookies and cream, you can add 4 crushed pieces of Oreo cookies and half a teaspoon of cocoa powder into each pan. Continue whisking the mixture.
- Put the rimmed metal baking pan in the freezer for about 2 hours.
- Remove the frozen dessert from the freezer. Use a sharp-edged, flat spatula to cut the ice cream sheet into strips about 3 inches wide.
- Position the spatula at the edge of the pan nearest you. Scrape the ice cream sheet. Continue scraping to form a roll until you get to the opposite side.
- Pick the rolled ice cream using tongs. Put them in a small ramekin or an ice cream cup.
- Finish it off with your favorite garnishing.
Rolled ice cream is nothing more than a sweetened frozen dessert that you curl into barrel-shaped treats. It is a very interesting way to enjoy ice cream.
- Homemade Rolled Ice Cream with Only 2 Ingredients – Bigger Bolder Baking